Floyd Grange member takes top prize at state contest
TOWN OF FLOYD — Grace Schell of the Floyd Grange represented Oneida County Grange in the NYS Grange Talent Contest held at State Grange Headquarters in Cortland on April 28.
Schell won first place in both the Vocal Category and the Instrumental Category of the show. She sang an Irish folk song, which also won Best of Show.
For the Instrumental Category, she played a medley on the mountain dulcimer.
As the Best of Show Winner, Schell will represent New York State Grange at the Evening of Excellence that will be held at the Annual Grange Convention at Stowe, Vt. in November.
The Talent Contest was part of a Grange Workshop that also had public speaking and sign-a-song contests, as well as displayed all the entries in the State Art & Photo, and Craft & Needlework contests.
Floyd member Bonnie LaSalle, member of State Lecturer’s Committee, helped with the displays, contests and activities.
Oneida County’s Art and Photo Contest was judged by Walt and Joanne Tomasik on April 4.
Christine Anken won first place in the Oil and Acrylic Category of the Art Contest.
In the Photo Contest, in the Patriotic Category:
• First Place: Eileen Breed,
• Second Place: Kathleen Hughes,
• Third Place: Christine Anken;
In the Dusk to Dawn Category:
• First Place: Kathleen Hughes;
• Second Place: Christine Anken; and
In the Historic Sites Category:
• First Place: Kathleen Hughes,
• Second Place: Christine Anken.
The first place winners represented Oneida County at the state contest.
At the state contest, Hughes’ entry in the “Dusk to Dawn” category was awarded third prize.
Hughes and Anken attended the day to
participate in the workshops.
- 9:00am 10/14/18Rome man grateful to be alive
- 9:00am 10/14/18Wild turkey pic
- 9:00am 10/14/18RACC honors volunteers with dinner, brick display
- 9:00am 10/14/18Lead actor makes ‘Venom’ watchable
- 9:00am 10/14/18Autumn is great time to prepare your lawn for winter, spring