Energetic and happy Thumper seeks a new home
Howdy Winston, Happy Springtime!
I’m Thumper, a 6-year-old terrier/American pit bull mix male canine. I was actually adopted six years ago but my family had to move and could not take me with them. Bummer. But I still have hope!!! I’ve never lived with cats before so I am not really sure how I feel about them…..But I do love people so if a family or single person is looking for an energetic and happy dog, that’s me! (Oh and I love other dogs and get along well with children, too!) Thank you, Thumper
Thank you for writing. I wish you a happy new home, one that lasts a lifetime!
Best Wishes, Winston
The cats Esmerelda and Pocahontas have been adopted — together! Also the felines Charlie P. and Pointer have also gone to their forever homes. Also adopted are the dogs Dozer, Zoey and Destiny. Congratulations to one and all!
Animal Foster Program
The Foster Care Program is a crucial part of our operations; it allows us to care for a larger amount of animals and is a great way to help animals in need, by providing an animal a temporary home.
The foster job is not an easy one.
Fostering helps with special needs animals and is particularly important for puppies and kittens that are too young for adoption. Other animals that sometimes need foster care are those recovering from an illness or surgery. Dogs may need to be housebroken or have separation anxiety issues. Cats may have trust issues and need socialization.
Depending on the animal and time of the year, it could take anywhere from a couple of days to many months to find a new home for your foster animal. Sometimes, an animal that has been at the shelter for an extended period of time just needs a break from this environment.
If you are willing to open your home and heart to an animal in need, and are able to provide a great amount of TLC, then you may be a candidate for a foster parent.
As a foster parent you’ll be given first preference if you decide you want to adopt the animal. Some foster parents do adopt. For those that don’t, we ask each foster parent to fill out a short profile about the animal they cared for. This profile is very helpful to potential adopters when choosing the right animal for them. We also inform foster parents when their former “family member” finds a new permanent home.
If you are interested in learning more about the Foster Care Program or want to be considered for a Foster Parent, please call 315-336-7070 and ask for our Shelter Manager.
Tuesday, June 5 — Dining for the Dogs at DeSalvo’s Restaurant, North James Street, Rome.
Wednesday, June 13 – Dining for the Dogs from 4-8 p.m. at Aquino’s Restaurant.
Monday, Aug. 6 – Our biggest fundraiser of the entire year — “Paws on the Green” Golf Tournament at the beautiful Teugega Country Club!
AmazonSmile makes us smile!
AmazonSmile is a simple, automatic way for you to support the Humane Society of Rome! Every time you shop with Amazon, they donate a portion of the purchase price to our charitable organization.
This is what you do --- before you begin to shop:
- Go to AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com)
- Sign into your Amazon Account
- Click on Accounts and Lists
- Click on Your Account
- Scroll down to Settings
- Click on Change Your Charity
- Start typing in “Humane Society of Rome” and Search
- Make sure you choose the correct Humane Society and SELECT!
- You can then GO SHOPPING! Thank you!
Dawn dishwashing detergent as well as new spray bottles (quart size). Thank you!
The shelter is in need of the following items:
- Medium- and large-size kitten hammocks (they are found in pet stores in the ferret section)
- Medium covered litter boxes
- Small litter boxes – kitten size
- Small plush cat beds – kitten size
- Friskies or 9 Lives pate canned food
- Ceramic crocks for food and water – small and large
- Scoopable litter
- Toys (especially toys that make noise)
- Nylabone Dog Chew Bones for all size dogs
- Toys – variety
- Grain Free treats
- Raw Hide treats – all sizes
- Soft Treats – such as Bacon Strips, Pupperoni
General Shelter Supplies
- Garbage bags – 13-gal. kitchen drawstring bags
- Garbage bags – 39-gal. drawstring bags
- Legal, letter, and small notepads
- Telephone message pads – 2-part carbonless
- Blank address labels
- Manila 3-tab folders – letter size
- 25-gallon plastic tubs with lids
- Grass Seed for outside Dog Kennels or
- Sod for outside Dog kennels
- Gift Cards to purchase Paint and Paint Supplies
- New Poop Scoopers (preferably poop scoop with blade)
- Rolls of Window Screening Material
- New Air Conditioners for Cat Rooms (5,000 or 10,000 BTUS)
- Gift Certificates or Gift cards to area merchants to purchase supplies as needed.
The Humane Society of Rome animal shelter, 6247 Lamphear Road, is open on Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to
5 p.m. The shelter is also open on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. For information, call 315-336-7070.
- 9:00am 08/12/18Nicky Doodles turns 20-years-old
- 9:00am 08/12/18Welcome beneficial insects to the garden all season long
- 9:00am 08/12/18Dooly is my name and playing is my game
- 9:00am 08/12/18Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom falls short of original
- 9:00am 08/12/18Diverse shows highlight Utica-Rome Speedway