Darla seeking a home where she can be herself
My names is Darla, and I am an almost 1-year-old, tan/black large sized female German Shepherd Mix canine who was brought into the shelter at the end of June as a stray.
I can be a very timid girl at first and need to be in a home with children that are older as I am sensitive and it takes a little bit of time for me to warm up and gain trust, but once I do, I will love the attention and give kisses.
I need to be the only pet in the home because of my dominant personality. I enjoy playing with my toys and being chased by my favorite staff members in the yard!
Please come to the shelter and ask to meet me in the yard where I feel most comfortable!
Thanks Winston. Your friend, Darla
Thank you for writing — it was so nice to hear from you! Let’s hope that this chance to shine in the “Winston Spotlight” will find you the home you are looking for! Readers, do this young lady a big favor (and do one for yourselves as well) and come visit her (and her friends, both feline and canine) and see if there is a match.
Thank you! Sincerely, Winston
Off to their new homes are cats: Chelsea, Florence, Lion, Lolly, Silver, Evan, Puzzle, and Cher.
The shelter is in particular need of:
- Dawn Dish Detergent (blue original);
- Large bags of dry cat and dog food.
Wish list needs:
The Humane Society of Rome Shelter is in immediate need of:
- Clumping litter (for adult cats) and non-clumping litter (kittens under 3 months);
- Large bags of dog and cat food, any variety;
- Tall kitchen trash bags, drawstring variety; and
- Dawn original (blue) dish detergent.
- Saturday, Oct. 6 — Locktoberfest at Bellamy Harbor Park. We will have a table!
- Tuesday, Oct. 9 — Dining for the Dogs at
Teddy’s Restraurant, 851 Black River Blvd., 4 to 9 p.m.
- Medium covered litter boxes
- Small litter boxes – kitten size
- Small plush cat beds – kitten size
- Covered Cat Beds – all sizes
- Friskies or 9 Lives pate canned food
- Ceramic crocks for food/water – small and large
- Clumping litter (never can have too much)
- Toys (especially small soft toys and small mice)
- Nylabone Dog Chew Bones for all size dogs
- Grain Free treats
- Raw Hide treats – all sizes
- Soft Treats – such as Bacon Strips or Pupperoni.
- New Poop Scoopers (preferably poop scoop with blade)
General Shelter Supplies
- Garbage bags* – 13 gallon tall kitchen drawstring bags
- Garbage bags* – 39 gallon lawn/leaf drawstring bags
- Bleach (non-foaming kind) never can have too much
- Legal, letter, and small notepads
- Legal size and Regular No. 10 envelopes
- Telephone message pads – 2 part carbonless
- Blank address labels – 1x 2.5 and 2 x 4
- Manila 3 tab folders – letter size
- 25 Gallon Plastic tubs with lids
- Copy Paper
- Paper Towels (running low)
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Grass Seed for outside Dog Kennels or Sod for outside Dog kennels
- Gift Cards to purchase Paint and Paint Supplies
- Rolls of Window Screening Material
- New Air Conditioners for Cat Rooms
- Gift Certificates or Gift cards to area merchants to purchase supplies as needed.
Want to support the shelter but do not have much free time or extra money? How about donating your bottles and cans?
Drop them off at Green World Bottle and Can Return Center, 1318 Erie Blvd. W, Rome, and ask to have the donation added to the Humane Society of Rome account.
Help the Humane Society of Rome earn points when you purchase Purina brand products, and collect weight circles.
Simply cut and save the circles from participating Purina brand dog foods you have purchased and bring to the shelter.
We save the weight circles and submit in bulk. Purina will send the Humane Society a check good towards future purchase of dog food. This saves the shelter the large amount on food.
The Humane Society of Rome animal shelter, 6247 Lamphear Road, is open on Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to
5 p.m. The shelter is also open on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For questions, call the shelter at 315-336-7070.