City proud of Rome Free Academy soccer standouts
Soccer standouts Matthew Kahler and Jadon Barton have been playing soccer together since they were 8-years-old in AYSO.
They are seniors this year at Rome Free Academy and were co-captains of the varsity team.
They will both play in college with Matthew headed to Nazareth and Jadon to Cazenovia.
On Wednesday, they signed with their respective college with their families and coaches in attendance.
They worked so hard in the sport they loved for this moment and our city is so proud of them.
Did you know they were both named to the Tri-Valley League All-Star team?
RFA soccer coach Chad Reese played college soccer at Houghton and they were also recruiting Matt and Jadon.
Jadon’s game winning goal against Cazenovia in a 1-0 score was one of the Black Knights biggest victories of the year.
The Black Knights soccer season ended at 9-8 and third place in the tough TVL.
Jadon and Matthew wanted their pictures taken with three coaches who influenced them on the journey — Reese; Bill Metzler, RFA assistant coach; and Chris Carrier, their Copper City United Soccer Club team coach.
• Sid Stockholm passed away last week at the age of 93. He was one of Rome’s great Community and business leaders back in the day. I had so much respect for him. May he Rest In Peace!
When I was a beginner at golf back in the 70’s, I played in a big member/guest tournament and found myself in a close match with Sid. As you can imagine, I was a bit nervous playing against a man who I nicknamed “Mr. Rome”. On a long par 5 we hit our drives in the same spot. He was in a cart and drove up ahead of me and accidentally hit MY BALL instead of his? I thought to myself? What do I do now? I took the high road and politely told him. He never hesitated and declared he lost the hole. What a gentlemen he was.
• Buddy Evans, Mike Adey and Jim Kenny are traveling out to Arizona in a few weeks for the Final Four. This year will be Coach Evans 41st consecutive year at the NCAA Finals. He just loves it.
• When I have a visit with Davidson College basketball coach Bob McKillop he always asks about former Buddy Evans. He said back in the day (1980’s) they coached together at the famous 5-Star basketball camp. He told me Coach Evans is a great coach but we all know that!
• Tom Sestito has been called up to the Penguins and I can’t wait to watch him play on TV. He is my locker buddy at Teugega and I like watching our athletes from Rome make it to the big time.
• Pick of the week: Duke to win the ACC tournament.
• My easy rules to live your life: Worry less and work more, Ride less and walk more, Frown less and laugh more, Drink less and breathe more, Eat less and chew more and preach less and practice more.