‘Our Mother’s Keepers: An Alzheimer’s Journey’ author at Jervis Monday
Geri Sultenfuss, author of “Our Mother’s Keepers: An Alzheimer’s Journey,” will visit Jervis Public Library on Monday, Oct. 16, at 6:30 p.m. to speak about her family’s experience coping with their mother’s Alzheimer’s disease.
According to the author, the adjustments required at home to keep someone safe and happy, as well as the transition to skilled nursing care, can be very stressful for the individual and for the entire family. Although her mother had a living will and health care proxy expressing her wishes for end-of-life comfort care, the author reports that her mother’s nursing home initially refused doctor’s orders.
The author will share some of the strategies she and her siblings employed at home and will discuss the difficulties they encountered when their mother moved to skilled nursing care and the children became their mother’s advocates. Geri also hopes to spread awareness of the importance of communicating one’s health care wishes to loved ones and ensuring that the proper legal documents are in place.
Geri Sultenfuss, a native of Utica, spent four years in the Coast Guard and lived briefly in Alaska. She works as a secretary at a local community college.
No registration is necessary for this free program. To learn more about Alzheimer’s disease, contact the library’s Information Desk at 315-336-4570, or register for the monthly Alzheimer’s programs at the library by calling the Central New York Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association at 315-617-4025, extension 100.
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Radiation Oncologist Michael Fallon joins staff at RMH Radiation Medicine
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Physical therapy professor honored
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Sign-up for Kundalini Yoga & Meditation at View
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Improved care coordination services available for those with disabilities
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Outdoor yoga Wednesdays at RACC
- 4:00pm 07/14/18I have competed well
- 4:00pm 07/14/18The Puffers perform Sunday
- 4:00pm 07/14/18Women gather Tuesday
- 4:00pm 07/13/18Poop-to-power: Manure separator benefits dairy, generates clean energy
- 4:00pm 07/12/18Western-comedy features Pattinson, Wasikowska