‘Our Mother’s Keepers: An Alzheimer’s Journey’ author at Jervis Monday
Geri Sultenfuss, author of “Our Mother’s Keepers: An Alzheimer’s Journey,” will visit Jervis Public Library on Monday, Oct. 16, at 6:30 p.m. to speak about her family’s experience coping with their mother’s Alzheimer’s disease.
According to the author, the adjustments required at home to keep someone safe and happy, as well as the transition to skilled nursing care, can be very stressful for the individual and for the entire family. Although her mother had a living will and health care proxy expressing her wishes for end-of-life comfort care, the author reports that her mother’s nursing home initially refused doctor’s orders.
The author will share some of the strategies she and her siblings employed at home and will discuss the difficulties they encountered when their mother moved to skilled nursing care and the children became their mother’s advocates. Geri also hopes to spread awareness of the importance of communicating one’s health care wishes to loved ones and ensuring that the proper legal documents are in place.
Geri Sultenfuss, a native of Utica, spent four years in the Coast Guard and lived briefly in Alaska. She works as a secretary at a local community college.
No registration is necessary for this free program. To learn more about Alzheimer’s disease, contact the library’s Information Desk at 315-336-4570, or register for the monthly Alzheimer’s programs at the library by calling the Central New York Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association at 315-617-4025, extension 100.
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Oriskany Central School Ski & Snowboard Club to hold Book Fair
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Cornell University reminds residents to think globally, plant locally
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Sign-up for May Food $en$e
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Spektral Quartet to perform at Hamilton College April 21
- 4:00pm 04/19/18MWPAI Concerts in the Court Hosts Tribute to Jazz Legend
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Out After Midnite presents Estonian fantasy
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Dark comedy ‘Death of Stalin’ on Cinema screen
- 4:00pm 04/19/18DuffleBag Theatre presents ‘Little Red Riding Hood’
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Spring Swing concert Sunday at Colgate
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Polish Home hosts spaghetti dinner