Alzheimer’s Association offers support groups
The Alzheimer’s Association, Central New York Chapter is encouraging those impacted by Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia to attend one of its support groups that meet throughout the region.
Support groups are a community of peers that exist to support one another. The peer or professionally-led groups are for individuals, caregivers and others dealing with Alzheimer’s disease or a related form of dementia.
Caregiver support groups promote an open forum of sharing and discussion among people facing many of the same issues. The group’s power rests within its members’ ability to show compassion, develop strategies and empower its members to provide the highest quality care possible.
Early-stage support groups provide peer-to-peer conversation and support for individuals specifically diagnosed in the disease’s early stages. Groups are open to the individual with the disease and the caregiver, and advanced screening is recommended prior to attending by calling the number listed with the support group.
All support groups are free to attend and facilitated by trained individuals. For more information, call 1-800-272-3900 or email email@example.com.
Upcoming meetings include:
Early-Stage Support Groups
Whitesboro: Dunham Public Library, 76 Main St.: Second Monday, 11 a.m. Feb. 12 and March 12.
Caregiver Support Groups
Rome: Rome Memorial Hospital, 1500 James St., Room 101, Second Tuesday: 5 p.m., Jan. 9, Feb. 13 and March 13.
Clinton: Brookdale Clinton, 115 Brookside Road, Last Wednesday: 1 p.m., Jan. 31, Feb. 28 and March 28.
Canastota: Madison County Office for the Aging, 138 Dominic Bruno Blvd.: Third Friday, 10 a.m., Jan. 19, Feb. 16 and March 16.
Cazenovia: Community Resources for Independent Seniors, Cherry Valley Professional Plaza, 2662 Route 20 E.: Second Wednesday, 6 p.m., Jan. 10, Feb. 14 and March 14.
Lowville: Lewis County Office for the Aging, 7550 S. State St.: Third Thursday,
10 a.m., Jan. 18, Feb. 15 and March 15.
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Schall sings in Constableville
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Vernon church hosts sales
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Annual BBQ at Steuben Methodist Church April 28
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Church offers free meal April 28
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Church to hold pasta dinner
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Be the bearers of love in a harsh world
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Oriskany Central School Ski & Snowboard Club to hold Book Fair
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Cornell University reminds residents to think globally, plant locally
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Sign-up for May Food $en$e
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Spektral Quartet to perform at Hamilton College April 21