Alzheimer’s Association offers support groups
The Alzheimer’s Association, Central New York Chapter is encouraging those impacted by Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia to attend one of its support groups that meet throughout the region.
Support groups are a community of peers that exist to support one another. The peer or professionally-led groups are for individuals, caregivers and others dealing with Alzheimer’s disease or a related form of dementia.
Caregiver support groups promote an open forum of sharing and discussion among people facing many of the same issues. The group’s power rests within its members’ ability to show compassion, develop strategies and empower its members to provide the highest quality care possible.
Early-stage support groups provide peer-to-peer conversation and support for individuals specifically diagnosed in the disease’s early stages. Groups are open to the individual with the disease and the caregiver, and advanced screening is recommended prior to attending by calling the number listed with the support group.
All support groups are free to attend and facilitated by trained individuals. For more information, call 1-800-272-3900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming meetings include:
Early-Stage Support Groups
Whitesboro: Dunham Public Library, 76 Main St.: Second Monday, 11 a.m. Feb. 12 and March 12.
Caregiver Support Groups
Rome: Rome Memorial Hospital, 1500 James St., Room 101, Second Tuesday: 5 p.m., Jan. 9, Feb. 13 and March 13.
Clinton: Brookdale Clinton, 115 Brookside Road, Last Wednesday: 1 p.m., Jan. 31, Feb. 28 and March 28.
Canastota: Madison County Office for the Aging, 138 Dominic Bruno Blvd.: Third Friday, 10 a.m., Jan. 19, Feb. 16 and March 16.
Cazenovia: Community Resources for Independent Seniors, Cherry Valley Professional Plaza, 2662 Route 20 E.: Second Wednesday, 6 p.m., Jan. 10, Feb. 14 and March 14.
Lowville: Lewis County Office for the Aging, 7550 S. State St.: Third Thursday,
10 a.m., Jan. 18, Feb. 15 and March 15.
- 4:00pm 10/22/18MVHS offices add nurse practitioners
- 4:00pm 10/22/18Fly shot clinic in Deerfield Oct. 24
- 4:00pm 10/22/18Bone marrow drive Oct. 27
- 4:00pm 10/22/18Dispirito joins Chestnut Commons Physical, Occupational Therapy
- 4:00pm 10/22/18Blood donation opportunities in November
- 4:00pm 10/22/18Host ‘Dress Down Day’ to support Hospice
- 4:00pm 10/20/18Special service in Oriskany
- 4:00pm 10/20/18Cinema Capitol to host ‘out of this world’ double feature
- 4:00pm 10/20/18State to send $400,000 for UCP
- 4:00pm 10/20/18Jesus is the great unifier for all of us