Alzheimer’s Association offers support groups
The Alzheimer’s Association, Central New York Chapter is encouraging those impacted by Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia to attend one of its support groups that meet throughout the region.
Support groups are a community of peers that exist to support one another. The peer or professionally-led groups are for individuals, caregivers and others dealing with Alzheimer’s disease or a related form of dementia.
Caregiver support groups promote an open forum of sharing and discussion among people facing many of the same issues. The group’s power rests within its members’ ability to show compassion, develop strategies and empower its members to provide the highest quality care possible.
Early-stage support groups provide peer-to-peer conversation and support for individuals specifically diagnosed in the disease’s early stages. Groups are open to the individual with the disease and the caregiver, and advanced screening is recommended prior to attending by calling the number listed with the support group.
All support groups are free to attend and facilitated by trained individuals. For more information, call 1-800-272-3900 or email email@example.com.
Upcoming meetings include:
Early-Stage Support Groups
Whitesboro: Dunham Public Library, 76 Main St.: Second Monday, 11 a.m. Feb. 12 and March 12.
Caregiver Support Groups
Rome: Rome Memorial Hospital, 1500 James St., Room 101, Second Tuesday: 5 p.m., Jan. 9, Feb. 13 and March 13.
Clinton: Brookdale Clinton, 115 Brookside Road, Last Wednesday: 1 p.m., Jan. 31, Feb. 28 and March 28.
Canastota: Madison County Office for the Aging, 138 Dominic Bruno Blvd.: Third Friday, 10 a.m., Jan. 19, Feb. 16 and March 16.
Cazenovia: Community Resources for Independent Seniors, Cherry Valley Professional Plaza, 2662 Route 20 E.: Second Wednesday, 6 p.m., Jan. 10, Feb. 14 and March 14.
Lowville: Lewis County Office for the Aging, 7550 S. State St.: Third Thursday,
10 a.m., Jan. 18, Feb. 15 and March 15.
- 4:00pm 01/18/18Oneida County Health Department performs food service inspections
- 4:00pm 01/18/18Capitol screens ‘All the Money in the World’
- 4:00pm 01/18/18Gibson Brothers perform Jan. 26
- 4:00pm 01/18/18Bluegrass jam Saturday
- 4:00pm 01/18/18Ultimate Aldean concert Saturday
- 4:00pm 01/18/18Riggies, Greens and Rock Sunday
- 4:00pm 01/18/18Wine Tasting event aids Foothills programs
- 4:00pm 01/17/18‘Pushed Aside: Reclaiming Gage’ opera premiere Sunday
- 4:00pm 01/17/18Library hosts poetry workshops Saturday
- 4:00pm 01/17/18Pushing the Limits Book Club among Oneida library events