REV. JEFFREY COURTER
On unity and peace
I find it sadly ironic that I can at times find myself more in step with persons of other faiths than with some fellow Christians. I am involved with the Greater Utica Interfaith Coalition, which hosts lunches for dialogue between various faiths and denominations.
There are Latter Day Saints, Muslims, Roman Catholics, Jews, Buddhists, and yes, Presbyterians, all eating together and sharing their stories. There is fellowship and camaraderie, and an agreement that we wish everyone got along as well as we do.
Isn’t it ironic that I can have more disagreement at times with those of my own faith, fellow Christians, than I do with people of other faiths? Why is this, when scripture is so clear about seeking unity? The Letter to the Ephesians commands us to “(bear) with one another in love, making every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” (Eph 3:3)
Our poisonous partisan politics have divided us along political party lines, and we disregard the Spirit that binds us together.
It is the same way with other religions: ISIS kills more Muslims than non-Muslims, violating their own scriptures. Partisan ideology can have deadly consequences. We must overlook demands for doctrinal purity from those who would divide us, or we, too, may find ourselves at war with one another.
God calls us to be at peace; those who oppose peace are on the wrong side of God’s truth.
Adirondack Community Chorus performs ‘Hope!’ concert Dec. 17
Catholic Daughters donate to Loaves and Fishes
STAND ALONE PIC 2017-12-07_LOC_durhamville_Baptist.jpg
Concert Friday aids International Christian Centers for the Deaf
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Holiday brunch Tuesday at Hart’s Hill Inn
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Adirondack Community Chorus performs ‘Hope!’ concert Dec. 17
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Catholic Daughters donate to Loaves and Fishes
- 4:00pm 12/09/17STAND ALONE PIC 2017-12-07_LOC_durhamville_Baptist.jpg
- 4:00pm 12/09/17RSVP Senior Readers Group
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Women’s club meets Thursday
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Queen Village Christmas Dec. 16
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Concert Friday aids International Christian Centers for the Deaf
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Annual Choir Day Sunday
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Floyd church offers cookies