REV. JEFFREY COURTER
On unity and peace
I find it sadly ironic that I can at times find myself more in step with persons of other faiths than with some fellow Christians. I am involved with the Greater Utica Interfaith Coalition, which hosts lunches for dialogue between various faiths and denominations.
There are Latter Day Saints, Muslims, Roman Catholics, Jews, Buddhists, and yes, Presbyterians, all eating together and sharing their stories. There is fellowship and camaraderie, and an agreement that we wish everyone got along as well as we do.
Isn’t it ironic that I can have more disagreement at times with those of my own faith, fellow Christians, than I do with people of other faiths? Why is this, when scripture is so clear about seeking unity? The Letter to the Ephesians commands us to “(bear) with one another in love, making every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” (Eph 3:3)
Our poisonous partisan politics have divided us along political party lines, and we disregard the Spirit that binds us together.
It is the same way with other religions: ISIS kills more Muslims than non-Muslims, violating their own scriptures. Partisan ideology can have deadly consequences. We must overlook demands for doctrinal purity from those who would divide us, or we, too, may find ourselves at war with one another.
God calls us to be at peace; those who oppose peace are on the wrong side of God’s truth.
Be the bearers of love in a harsh world
Chamber music concert April 21 at First Presbyterian Church
Mark Hoffmann brings swing music to Trinity Community Coffee House
Importance of one lost sheep
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Schall sings in Constableville
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Vernon church hosts sales
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Annual BBQ at Steuben Methodist Church April 28
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Church offers free meal April 28
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Church to hold pasta dinner
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Be the bearers of love in a harsh world
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Chamber music concert April 21 at First Presbyterian Church
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Mark Hoffmann brings swing music to Trinity Community Coffee House
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Spring bag sale in Lee Center
- 4:00pm 04/14/18‘God, etc.’ series starts Monday