REV. JEFFREY COURTER
On unity and peace
I find it sadly ironic that I can at times find myself more in step with persons of other faiths than with some fellow Christians. I am involved with the Greater Utica Interfaith Coalition, which hosts lunches for dialogue between various faiths and denominations.
There are Latter Day Saints, Muslims, Roman Catholics, Jews, Buddhists, and yes, Presbyterians, all eating together and sharing their stories. There is fellowship and camaraderie, and an agreement that we wish everyone got along as well as we do.
Isn’t it ironic that I can have more disagreement at times with those of my own faith, fellow Christians, than I do with people of other faiths? Why is this, when scripture is so clear about seeking unity? The Letter to the Ephesians commands us to “(bear) with one another in love, making every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” (Eph 3:3)
Our poisonous partisan politics have divided us along political party lines, and we disregard the Spirit that binds us together.
It is the same way with other religions: ISIS kills more Muslims than non-Muslims, violating their own scriptures. Partisan ideology can have deadly consequences. We must overlook demands for doctrinal purity from those who would divide us, or we, too, may find ourselves at war with one another.
God calls us to be at peace; those who oppose peace are on the wrong side of God’s truth.
Non Nobis Domine: The Glory belongs to God
The Kingdom of Heaven is ‘within you’
‘Blessing Box’ at Verona Fire Department installed to help neighbors aid each other
‘I am the way, the truth, and the life’
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Women’s club meets Feb. 20
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Stone Soup event aids food pantry
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Church offers free meal Feb. 24
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Non Nobis Domine: The Glory belongs to God
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Spaghetti dinner served Feb. 18
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Drive-through ashing in Lee, Verona Feb. 14
- 4:00pm 02/10/18St. Peter’s offers ashes in Verona
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Services at Trinity United Methodist
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Meal aids Lutheran Disaster Response
- 4:00pm 02/10/18The Kingdom of Heaven is ‘within you’