Rev. Jeff Courter
Commonality in shared faith
This is the Christian season of Lent, a period of 40 days leading up to Easter.
As I grew up (long ago) as a Protestant (Presbyterian), I did not hear much about Lent, and Ash Wednesday, which begins the season of Lent, was something only Catholics celebrated.
Yet today, most “mainline” Christian denominations (including Presbyterians) now celebrate Ash Wednesday with our Catholic sisters and brothers, including the imposition of ashes on the forehead.
It seems to me that Protestants are becoming more Catholic, while Catholics are likewise picking up traditions which once were decidedly Protestant, such as Bible study.
I attribute this to a couple things:
1) We live in a “post-Christian” society, where fewer and fewer Americans identify themselves as belonging to the Christian faith, so those that do identify themselves as Christians find they have more in common than what formerly divided them.
2) As Catholics and Protestants take their faith more seriously and intentionally now, due to the decline in the “civic religion” of Christianity, they are finding more commonality in the early Church Fathers and a shared early history.
While doctrinal and theological issues still remain, there is more in common between them than not.
Perhaps this is a positive sign for our country, which now seems deeply divided by our political parties.
As we look back to the principles which founded our nation, we might see we have more in common today than not.
I pray we may find this commonality soon, before we fight with each other, as Protestants and Catholics had in the past.
Chamber music concert April 21 at First Presbyterian Church
Mark Hoffmann brings swing music to Trinity Community Coffee House
Importance of one lost sheep
Church welcomes new minister
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Chamber music concert April 21 at First Presbyterian Church
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Mark Hoffmann brings swing music to Trinity Community Coffee House
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Spring bag sale in Lee Center
- 4:00pm 04/14/18‘God, etc.’ series starts Monday
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Red hat themed brunch Tuesday
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Veterans program Tuesday in Oneida
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Spring luncheon Thursday
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Lee Center church hosts dinner
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Importance of one lost sheep
- 4:00pm 04/07/18Church welcomes new minister