PRAISING WITH SONG — Choir members and local musicians rehearse for the upcoming “Colors of Grace” cantata to be performed at St. John the Baptist Church on East Dominick Street Sunday. (Photo submitted)
‘Colors of Grace’ Cantata Sunday
St. John the Baptist Church will present “Colors of Grace” a Lenten Cantata by renowned composer Joseph M. Martin at 3 p.m. Sunday at the East Dominick Street church.
The cantata features the St. John the Baptist Choir and more than 60 singers from seven local churches accompanied by a professional orchestra directed by Scott Rutledge, with narration by Ted Lenio.
”It was a meaningful journey composing ‘Colors of Grace’ for this season of shadows,” said composer Martin. “Telling the story of Holy Week in a new way was a challenge and my goal in conceiving this Cantata. I hope the audience that takes the journey with these musicians and singers will be renewed in faith and encouraged in spirit. I never visit the Holy Week scriptures without being refreshed and renewed by the music of grace.”
Martin appeared in Rome in 2004 at First Baptist Church for the debut performance in New York of his Christmas cantata, “The Winter Rose.“
“We all love Joe’s music,” said Director Scott Rutledge. “We actually performed this work in 2006 at St. Mary’s church here in Rome. To have another opportunity to bring so many singers and musicians from across central New York together to join our St. John’s music ministry is such a blessing. The sound they achieve with this orchestra is truly impressive.”
The cantata is free.
New York Mills priest completes three year labor of love
Big Moose Community Chapel announces annual events
Will you take up the mantle?
I have competed well
- 4:00pm 07/21/18New York Mills priest completes three year labor of love
- 4:00pm 07/21/18Mohawk Valley Unitarian churches gather July 29
- 4:00pm 07/21/18Big Moose Community Chapel announces annual events
- 4:00pm 07/21/18Will you take up the mantle?
- 4:00pm 07/21/18Muster Day meal Friday at 4:30 p.m.
- 4:00pm 07/14/18I have competed well
- 4:00pm 07/14/18The Puffers perform Sunday
- 4:00pm 07/14/18Women gather Tuesday
- 4:00pm 07/10/18Constableville church to host Vacation Bible school
- 4:00pm 07/07/18Do not run from the fight — you are strong in The Lord