PRAISING WITH SONG — Choir members and local musicians rehearse for the upcoming “Colors of Grace” cantata to be performed at St. John the Baptist Church on East Dominick Street Sunday. (Photo submitted)
‘Colors of Grace’ Cantata Sunday
St. John the Baptist Church will present “Colors of Grace” a Lenten Cantata by renowned composer Joseph M. Martin at 3 p.m. Sunday at the East Dominick Street church.
The cantata features the St. John the Baptist Choir and more than 60 singers from seven local churches accompanied by a professional orchestra directed by Scott Rutledge, with narration by Ted Lenio.
”It was a meaningful journey composing ‘Colors of Grace’ for this season of shadows,” said composer Martin. “Telling the story of Holy Week in a new way was a challenge and my goal in conceiving this Cantata. I hope the audience that takes the journey with these musicians and singers will be renewed in faith and encouraged in spirit. I never visit the Holy Week scriptures without being refreshed and renewed by the music of grace.”
Martin appeared in Rome in 2004 at First Baptist Church for the debut performance in New York of his Christmas cantata, “The Winter Rose.“
“We all love Joe’s music,” said Director Scott Rutledge. “We actually performed this work in 2006 at St. Mary’s church here in Rome. To have another opportunity to bring so many singers and musicians from across central New York together to join our St. John’s music ministry is such a blessing. The sound they achieve with this orchestra is truly impressive.”
The cantata is free.
Chamber music concert April 21 at First Presbyterian Church
Mark Hoffmann brings swing music to Trinity Community Coffee House
Importance of one lost sheep
Church welcomes new minister
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Chamber music concert April 21 at First Presbyterian Church
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Mark Hoffmann brings swing music to Trinity Community Coffee House
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Spring bag sale in Lee Center
- 4:00pm 04/14/18‘God, etc.’ series starts Monday
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Red hat themed brunch Tuesday
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Veterans program Tuesday in Oneida
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Spring luncheon Thursday
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Lee Center church hosts dinner
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Importance of one lost sheep
- 4:00pm 04/07/18Church welcomes new minister