Church welcomes new minister
The West Leyden Reformed Church, 1195 Route 26, welcomes new minister, The Rev. Dave Corcoran.
Rev. Corcoran has both a bachelors and masters degrees in education, and received his Bible Degree from Tabernacle Bible Institute in Shinglehouse, Pa. He and his wife Barbara live in Floyd and have three grown children. “We are pleased to welcome them to our community,” church officials said. “We are looking forward to his inspirational and practical messages, and his leadership in our church and community.”
Services at the 162-year-old church are held Sundays at 10 a.m. Church officials offered some history on the church itself:
The Reformed Church of West Leyden was organized on Sept. 12, 1856 with ten members. Land was purchased, and the church building was completed and dedicated on Jan. 20, 1861. The total cost for the land, church, and parsonage was $2,400. All services were in German until 1893 when it was decided to have one English service the first Sunday of the month, and in 1900, there were two English services per month.
The church history includes such events as suspension of some services in 1877 due to 4-6 feet of snow, 87 cases of measles and 23 of small pox. In 1914 the steeple was struck by lightning, and in 1929, the parsonage was destroyed by fire, taking the life of Dr. Don Edward.
In 1932, the stained glass windows were dedicated. In 1947 an addition was built which included a kitchen, a fuel room with a new furnace, updating the dining room, and adding a Sunday School room. The Lord’s Acre Auction began in 1951 and continues to be an annual fall event in West Leyden 67 years later.
On the net: https://www.facebook.com/WestLeydenReformedChurch
Fall, football, and the armor of God
Delta Lake Christian Music Fest Sept. 22
Annual International Day of Peace celebration Sept. 16
Thoughts on faith and labor
- 11:28am 09/18/18AREA CHURCH SERVICES
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Fall, football, and the armor of God
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Delta Lake Christian Music Fest Sept. 22
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Harvest Fair lunch Tuesday
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Bible study starts Sept. 19 in Rome
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Community center hosts carnival
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Rummage, bake sales Thursday
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Brunch Thursday in Canastota
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Music and ministry program Sept. 29
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Franciscans host discussion group