LIBERTY MEDAL — State Sen. Joseph A. Griffo, left, presented a state Liberty Medal on Thursday to Yorkville resident and corrections lieutenant Timothy Corey. From left: Griffo, wife Michelle Corey, recipient Timothy Corey and son, Matthew Corey. (Photo submitted)
Yorkville resident receives Liberty Medal
A Yorkville resident and state corrections officer was honored with a New York State Senate Liberty Medal by state Sen. Joseph A. Griffo this week for rescuing a young child trapped in a pool in South Carolina.
The Liberty Medal is given to individuals who have merited special commendation for exceptional, heroic or humanitarian acts. It is one of the highest civilian honors in New York State.
Officials said Yorkville resident and corrections lieutenant in Marcy, Timothy Corey, was on vacation in North Myrtle Beach on March 19 when he and another man were approached by a woman who claimed a young boy had become stuck in an outdoor pool intake pipe.
Officials said Corey jumped into the water and started breathing air into the boy’s mouth while he was struck, alongside another rescuer.
Corey and the other person kept this up for eight minutes before rescue personnel were able to free the boy. The child was then given CPR and rushed to a nearby hospital.
“Due to the life-saving actions of Timothy and the other rescuers, the boy was released from the hospital after six days of treatment,” Griffo, R-47, Rome, said in a release. “Through his actions that day, Timothy demonstrated his true character and a genuine compassion for the well-being of others. He is very deserving of this special recognition and should be regarded as a true hero.”
Griffo presented Corey with the Liberty Medal at the State Office Building in Utica on Thursday.
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Clerk gets some backing from lawmakers at budget hearing
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Blood recipients winners in ‘Battle of the Badges’
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Economic panel to hold outreach meeting Oct. 25
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Rome-Area Hunger Walk steps off Sunday
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Drugged driving charged in Lewis County
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Take Back the Night Thursday at City Hall
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Syracuse Stage visits Joy Elementary
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Meetings — Thursday, Oct. 17, 2018
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Madison County man accused of welfare fraud
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Colonial Park to host tribute for its veterans