LIBERTY MEDAL — State Sen. Joseph A. Griffo, left, presented a state Liberty Medal on Thursday to Yorkville resident and corrections lieutenant Timothy Corey. From left: Griffo, wife Michelle Corey, recipient Timothy Corey and son, Matthew Corey. (Photo submitted)
Yorkville resident receives Liberty Medal
A Yorkville resident and state corrections officer was honored with a New York State Senate Liberty Medal by state Sen. Joseph A. Griffo this week for rescuing a young child trapped in a pool in South Carolina.
The Liberty Medal is given to individuals who have merited special commendation for exceptional, heroic or humanitarian acts. It is one of the highest civilian honors in New York State.
Officials said Yorkville resident and corrections lieutenant in Marcy, Timothy Corey, was on vacation in North Myrtle Beach on March 19 when he and another man were approached by a woman who claimed a young boy had become stuck in an outdoor pool intake pipe.
Officials said Corey jumped into the water and started breathing air into the boy’s mouth while he was struck, alongside another rescuer.
Corey and the other person kept this up for eight minutes before rescue personnel were able to free the boy. The child was then given CPR and rushed to a nearby hospital.
“Due to the life-saving actions of Timothy and the other rescuers, the boy was released from the hospital after six days of treatment,” Griffo, R-47, Rome, said in a release. “Through his actions that day, Timothy demonstrated his true character and a genuine compassion for the well-being of others. He is very deserving of this special recognition and should be regarded as a true hero.”
Griffo presented Corey with the Liberty Medal at the State Office Building in Utica on Thursday.
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Zoning dispute becomes heated in Lee
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Trucker pleads guilty to lying to state in Workers’ Comp case
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Rome Police nab wanted man
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Area officials blast Cuomo comment
- 4:00pm 08/16/18City seeks applicants for arena work
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Community Foundation awards over $1.4M in grants to area organizations
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Movies — Aug. 16, 2018
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Public Safety Logs — Aug. 16, 2018
- 12:00pm 08/16/18District outlines new school supplies decision
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Only few small hurdles remain for Strough reopening