Woman, three children escape harm in fire

Published Oct 23, 2018 at 4:00pm

A woman and three children escaped uninjured after a dryer fire on West Bloomfield Street Monday afternoon.

Deputy Fire Chief David L. Gratch said the fire started in the overheated motor area of a dryer at 408 W. Bloomfield St. The female resident noticed the fire and closed the door to the laundry room before escorting the three children outside and calling 9-1-1 at about 1:04 p.m. The woman had her own child and two others she was babysitting.

Gratch said closing the door to the laundry room helped prevent the fire from spreading too rapidly to the rest of the house.

“Don’t try to put it out. Don’t try anything. Close the door. That’s the best way to seal it off,” Gratch said this morning. Closing the door prevents new oxygen from feeding the fire.

“Basically, what it does is it smothers the fire.”

Gratch said the fire spread from the dryer to a second-floor bathroom above the laundry room, and to some exterior walls on the second floor. Responding fire crews took multiple hose lines inside, dousing the flames on the first and second floors in less than 15 minutes. “They made quick work of it,” Gratch said of the firefighters. Crews were back in service by 3 p.m.

Gratch said the smoke detectors inside the home activated.

One difficulty in reaching the fire was the road work being done on West Bloomfield Street. Gratch said the construction crews had to move their large vehicles out of the way for the fire trucks, while other apparatus went up the Floral Street alley.

“They moved it out of the way really quick. They were very helpful,” Gratch said of the work crews.

The chief said no one was injured during the fire. The resident was displaced from her home and was staying with other family members, he said.

According to city records, the property is owned by residents Rebecca Wiggins and Sharon Eakins, with an assessed
property value of $58,500.