West Winfield man dies in crash with tractor trailer
WESTMORELAND — A 60-year-old Herkimer County man is dead after his pickup truck struck the side of a passing tractor trailer at the intersection of Route 233 and Sutliff Road Thursday morning.
Sheriff’s deputies said Thomas Stiles, of Virginia, was northbound on Route 233 at about 10:40 a.m. when he passed through the green light at the intersection with Sutliff Road. Deputies said Stiles’ trailer was then struck on the rear passenger side by a pickup truck that entered the intersection from Sutliff.
The pickup — driven by 60-year-old Douglas Atkyns, of West Winfield — then spun around and struck a southbound vehicle driven by Anthony Rocco, of Whitesboro, authorities stated. Rocco was stopped and waiting to make a left turn onto Sutliff Road.
Atkyns was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said. An autopsy has been scheduled.
Stiles and Rocco were not injured in the three-vehicle crash. Investigators inspected the tractor trailer, but they said no violations were uncovered.
The cause of Atkyns’ crash into the side of the passing trailer remains under investigation.
The 55 mph highway was closed for several hours while the crash was investigated.
- 4:01pm 10/19/18Morning accident in Rome snarled morning traffic
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Express Employment Professionals First Dollar of Profit
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Alexis Jones, founder of I Am That Girl, to speak at MVCC
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Help available to update, change Medicare plans
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Westmoreland’s ‘most mysterious locale’ open to public tonight
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Take Back the Night event for Domestic Violence Awareness Month in Rome
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Adults ticketed after ECOs say teens hunting illegally
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Driver injured, ticketed in crash
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Threat at school leads to investigation
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Oneida Lake boat launch closed temporarily