West Winfield man dies in crash with tractor trailer
WESTMORELAND — A 60-year-old Herkimer County man is dead after his pickup truck struck the side of a passing tractor trailer at the intersection of Route 233 and Sutliff Road Thursday morning.
Sheriff’s deputies said Thomas Stiles, of Virginia, was northbound on Route 233 at about 10:40 a.m. when he passed through the green light at the intersection with Sutliff Road. Deputies said Stiles’ trailer was then struck on the rear passenger side by a pickup truck that entered the intersection from Sutliff.
The pickup — driven by 60-year-old Douglas Atkyns, of West Winfield — then spun around and struck a southbound vehicle driven by Anthony Rocco, of Whitesboro, authorities stated. Rocco was stopped and waiting to make a left turn onto Sutliff Road.
Atkyns was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said. An autopsy has been scheduled.
Stiles and Rocco were not injured in the three-vehicle crash. Investigators inspected the tractor trailer, but they said no violations were uncovered.
The cause of Atkyns’ crash into the side of the passing trailer remains under investigation.
The 55 mph highway was closed for several hours while the crash was investigated.
- 4:00pm 08/18/18RACC wraps up Artletics program
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Former Roman named president of state Funeral Directors Association
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Public hearing on tax levy in Oneida on Tuesday
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Planet Fitness in Rome to completely modernize and remodel
- 4:00pm 08/18/18RPD holds Kops 4 Kids cookout
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Firemen's Field named after Prosser
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Adirondack Scenic Railroad launches rail bike excursions
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Madison County deputies probe fatal crash
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Crash sends three to hospital as driver tries to avoid deer
- 4:00pm 08/18/18AmeriCU honored with award