Utica man charged with robbing Pet Smart
NEW HARTFORD — A Utica man was charged with robbing a store clerk at knifepoint at the Pet Smart store located at Consumer Square on Commercial Drive Friday.
New Hartford Police said they responded to the store for a report of an armed robbery at 3:30 p.m. and after a short foot chase, were able to apprehend Julio Ramos-Perez, 27, and William Jose Antonetti-Fontanez, 25, both of Utica.
Witnesses stated that Perez held a Pet Smart cashier at knifepoint and stole approximately $275 in cash. A search warrant was later executed on Perez, along with a backpack he was carrying, which was where the stolen money was found, police said. Investigating officers were also able to find the clothes Perez was wearing during the robbery as well as drug paraphernalia and other stolen property.
Perez was charged with one count each of first-degree robbery, a class B felony; third-degree criminal possession of a weapon, a class D felony; and second-degree menacing, a class A misdemeanor.
He was arraigned in Town Court before Judge Kevin Copeland and sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or bond.
Antonetti-Fontanez was turned over to the Utica Police Department where he was wanted on an unrelated arrest warrant, police said.
- 4:00pm 08/19/17Mortgage Research Center pays restitution, fine in conduct home closing cost case
- 4:00pm 08/19/17Tenney urges president to continue to denounce racial hatred
- 4:00pm 08/19/17School district eyes savings of nearly $575,000
- 4:00pm 08/19/17Utica man faces weapons, multiple other charges after traffic stop
- 4:00pm 08/19/17Deerfield Place cuts ribbon on new apartment, townhouse complex in Utica
- 4:00pm 08/19/17Capitol to hold auditions for musical
- 4:00pm 08/19/17DOT reminds motorists to expect lane changes, watch for flaggers
- 4:00pm 08/19/17Pair of local food trucks to compete at State Fair
- 4:00pm 08/19/17Movies — Aug. 19, 2017
- 1:00pm 08/19/17Fire causes extensive smoke damage at William St. residence