Utica man charged with robbing Pet Smart
NEW HARTFORD — A Utica man was charged with robbing a store clerk at knifepoint at the Pet Smart store located at Consumer Square on Commercial Drive Friday.
New Hartford Police said they responded to the store for a report of an armed robbery at 3:30 p.m. and after a short foot chase, were able to apprehend Julio Ramos-Perez, 27, and William Jose Antonetti-Fontanez, 25, both of Utica.
Witnesses stated that Perez held a Pet Smart cashier at knifepoint and stole approximately $275 in cash. A search warrant was later executed on Perez, along with a backpack he was carrying, which was where the stolen money was found, police said. Investigating officers were also able to find the clothes Perez was wearing during the robbery as well as drug paraphernalia and other stolen property.
Perez was charged with one count each of first-degree robbery, a class B felony; third-degree criminal possession of a weapon, a class D felony; and second-degree menacing, a class A misdemeanor.
He was arraigned in Town Court before Judge Kevin Copeland and sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or bond.
Antonetti-Fontanez was turned over to the Utica Police Department where he was wanted on an unrelated arrest warrant, police said.
- 4:10pm 04/26/18Three to run for three seats on Board of Education
- 4:00pm 04/26/18Cuomo, ICE trade barbs over raids by federal agents
- 4:00pm 04/26/18Brindisi calls for investigations into Sprectrum cable TV, internet price hikes
- 4:00pm 04/26/18City of Rome renews beautification deal with Main Streets Alliance
- 4:00pm 04/26/18City adds $450K to UV plant contract
- 4:00pm 04/26/18Food Bank laments proposed SNAP cuts in Farm Bill
- 4:00pm 04/26/18Toddler Story Time at Jervis Public Library
- 4:00pm 04/26/18Family Fun Day scheduled at Rome campus
- 4:00pm 04/26/18Park Rx Day bike tour Sunday at Fort Stanwix
- 4:00pm 04/26/18Rome Tractor Supply to hold pet adoption event Saturday