Utica man charged with robbing Pet Smart
NEW HARTFORD — A Utica man was charged with robbing a store clerk at knifepoint at the Pet Smart store located at Consumer Square on Commercial Drive Friday.
New Hartford Police said they responded to the store for a report of an armed robbery at 3:30 p.m. and after a short foot chase, were able to apprehend Julio Ramos-Perez, 27, and William Jose Antonetti-Fontanez, 25, both of Utica.
Witnesses stated that Perez held a Pet Smart cashier at knifepoint and stole approximately $275 in cash. A search warrant was later executed on Perez, along with a backpack he was carrying, which was where the stolen money was found, police said. Investigating officers were also able to find the clothes Perez was wearing during the robbery as well as drug paraphernalia and other stolen property.
Perez was charged with one count each of first-degree robbery, a class B felony; third-degree criminal possession of a weapon, a class D felony; and second-degree menacing, a class A misdemeanor.
He was arraigned in Town Court before Judge Kevin Copeland and sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or bond.
Antonetti-Fontanez was turned over to the Utica Police Department where he was wanted on an unrelated arrest warrant, police said.
- 12:00pm 05/24/17Dryer blamed in New London fire; family of five displaced
- 4:10pm 05/23/17City gets grant for Haselton park pavilion
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Fort Stanwix to be surrounded once again; monument to host French and Indian War Weekend
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Local lawmakers back relief efforts for Vernon Downs
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Honoring service and sacrifice
- 4:00pm 05/23/17State Senate again takes aim at laser pointing at aircraft
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Teen charged with assault, accused of injuring adult male
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Master’s program at SUNY Poly lauded
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Utica man hospitalized after shooting
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Kay Real Estate to be honored at chamber luncheon