Troopers probe fatal accident on Otter Lake
FORESTPORT — A 12-year-old boy is dead following a near collision on the water on Otter Lake Monday evening, area law enforcement officials have reported.
State police said Kaden Eckrich was riding with another young boy on a tube, being pulled by his father, 45-year-old Francis R. Eckrich, at a high rate of speed on Otter Lake at about 6 p.m. Monday. Troopers said the elder Eckrich came upon a pontoon boat anchored on the lake, and he had to take evasive action to avoid crashing his 2000 Lowe boat into the pontoon boat.
Troopers said the evasive movement caused the younger Eckrich to be thrown off the tube into the pontoon boat.
Kaden Eckrich suffered massive internal injuries, authorities said. He was pronounced dead at St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Utica. The other child was also ejected, but he was not injured, troopers stated.
The accident remains under investigation. No charges have been filed so far.
- 4:10pm 07/17/18$9M swift water rescue training center opens in Whitestown
- 4:00pm 07/17/18Goat Yoga is baaaaack at Fort Rickey
- 4:00pm 07/17/18Man accused of having sex with underage girl
- 4:00pm 07/17/18Camden schools to establish two special patrol officers
- 4:00pm 07/17/18Police outline Law Enforcement Day schedule
- 4:00pm 07/17/18Coupons for seniors offered Friday at Farmer’s Market
- 4:00pm 07/17/18Event to raise funds for R-CATS
- 4:00pm 07/17/18Bellamy Community Awards names master of ceremonies
- 4:00pm 07/17/18Meetings — Wednesday, July 18, 2018
- 4:00pm 07/17/18Public Safety Logs —July 17, 2018