Troopers probe fatal accident on Otter Lake
FORESTPORT — A 12-year-old boy is dead following a near collision on the water on Otter Lake Monday evening, area law enforcement officials have reported.
State police said Kaden Eckrich was riding with another young boy on a tube, being pulled by his father, 45-year-old Francis R. Eckrich, at a high rate of speed on Otter Lake at about 6 p.m. Monday. Troopers said the elder Eckrich came upon a pontoon boat anchored on the lake, and he had to take evasive action to avoid crashing his 2000 Lowe boat into the pontoon boat.
Troopers said the evasive movement caused the younger Eckrich to be thrown off the tube into the pontoon boat.
Kaden Eckrich suffered massive internal injuries, authorities said. He was pronounced dead at St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Utica. The other child was also ejected, but he was not injured, troopers stated.
The accident remains under investigation. No charges have been filed so far.
- 11:48am 09/18/18Strough paving project is topic of special meeting
- 4:01pm 09/17/18Griffo secures funding to help Masonic Medical Research Institute
- 4:00pm 09/17/18Driver killed, child in critical condition following crash
- 4:00pm 09/17/18Grand re-opening of Philipson's in Rome
- 4:00pm 09/17/18Mohawk River Trail extended
- 4:00pm 09/17/18New business first dollar of profit
- 4:00pm 09/17/18Construction projects linger in region as autumn approaches
- 4:00pm 09/17/18VVS teacher recognized for completing state’s Master Teacher Program
- 4:00pm 09/17/18Oneida councilors to take up $8 million bond project to ‘stabilize’ Annsville reservoir
- 4:00pm 09/17/18Public Safety Logs — Sept. 17, 2018