Troopers probe fatal accident on Otter Lake
FORESTPORT — A 12-year-old boy is dead following a near collision on the water on Otter Lake Monday evening, area law enforcement officials have reported.
State police said Kaden Eckrich was riding with another young boy on a tube, being pulled by his father, 45-year-old Francis R. Eckrich, at a high rate of speed on Otter Lake at about 6 p.m. Monday. Troopers said the elder Eckrich came upon a pontoon boat anchored on the lake, and he had to take evasive action to avoid crashing his 2000 Lowe boat into the pontoon boat.
Troopers said the evasive movement caused the younger Eckrich to be thrown off the tube into the pontoon boat.
Kaden Eckrich suffered massive internal injuries, authorities said. He was pronounced dead at St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Utica. The other child was also ejected, but he was not injured, troopers stated.
The accident remains under investigation. No charges have been filed so far.
- 4:10pm 11/17/18City’s Codes Department unveils hybrid car fleet
- 4:00pm 11/17/18DEC seeks input on managing Tug Hill lands
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Civic group honors AmeriCu’s Manuele
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Drivers urged to think safety as winter descends on region
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Woman gets probation for theft
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Eight area residents among state police grads
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Jervis serves as collection point for multiple community outreach efforts
- 4:00pm 11/17/18State champion RFA Marching Band receives commendation
- 4:00pm 11/17/18School board debates membership in statewide association
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Public Safety Logs — Nov. 17, 2018