Jerry R. Morris Jr.
Troopers accuse man of DWI, driving over 100 mph on Route 49
TOWN OF WHITESTOWN — A Rome man has been charged with driving drunk after law enforcers said the SUV he was driving was speeding at more than 100 mph on Route 49 early Monday morning, leading to a crash.
Marcy-based state police said Jerry R. Morris Jr., 31, of Rome, was spotted speeding at 115 mph in a 65 mph zone on Route 49 at about 3:40 a.m. Monday in a 2006 Toyota Highlander. Troopers said Morris then lost control of the SUV and it struck a guide rail, then it went down an embankment on River Street into the Town of Whitestown.
Morris was taken into custody, and troopers said they learned that he had taken the Toyota from a residence in Yorkville without the owner’s permission.
Morris is charged with one count each of driving while intoxicated, second-degree aggravated unlicensed operation, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and speeding, troopers said. He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $7,500 cash bail or bond. He is scheduled to reappear in court.
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Griffo, Valesky get high grades from pro-business group; Assembly members lower
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Utica Zoo back in good standing
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Board of Education does away with on-site school meetings
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Common Council set to receive mayor’s proposed 2019 budget
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Church to host Lord’s Acre Auction Friday
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Man arrested again on drug, cigarette charges
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Students lacking vaccinations to be barred starting Monday
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Agency seeks host sites for AmeriCorps program
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Colonial Park center to hold Fall Festival Saturday
- 4:00pm 09/25/18SUNY Poly gets high grades from U.S. News & World Report