NO INJURIES — Sheriff’s deputies said this crash off Route 365 and East Dominick Street Tuesday morning was caused both by the driver falling asleep and the snowy road conditions. The driver was not injured, authorities said, and was ticketed to appear in court. (Sentinel photo by John Clifford)
Tractor trailer driver in crash fell asleep, deputies say
The driver of the tractor trailer that slipped off an icy East
Dominick Street ramp Tuesday morning was not injured, according to local law enforcement
Sheriff’s deputies said Luciano Kanga, 41, of Jacksonville, Florida, was eastbound on Route 365 at about 7 a.m. when he fell asleep behind the wheel of his big rig.
Deputies said the tractor trailer drifted onto the East Dominick Street exit ramp and was going too fast for the snowy road conditions, leading to the accident.
The trailer slid off the roadway and hit the guide rail, knocking down several hundred feet of rail, the sheriff’s department reported.
The trailer then slid down an embankment before coming to rest in the grassy area off of the shoulder of the road.
Kanga was not injured, authorities said. He was ticketed for the crash and is scheduled to appear in City Court.
The ramp was closed for several hours so that the tractor trailer could be pulled out and traffic was redirected, the law enforcers added.
- 4:01pm 10/19/18Morning accident in Rome snarled morning traffic
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Express Employment Professionals First Dollar of Profit
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Alexis Jones, founder of I Am That Girl, to speak at MVCC
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Help available to update, change Medicare plans
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Westmoreland’s ‘most mysterious locale’ open to public tonight
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Take Back the Night event for Domestic Violence Awareness Month in Rome
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Adults ticketed after ECOs say teens hunting illegally
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Driver injured, ticketed in crash
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Threat at school leads to investigation
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Oneida Lake boat launch closed temporarily