Three women accused of smuggling contraband
TOWN OF MARCY — Three different women are accused of trying to smuggle synthetic marijuana into the MId-State Correctional Facility within three hours of each other on Sunday.
Authorities said all three women were stopped by security in or near the visiting room.
• Jasmine S. Smith, 26, of Mount Vernon, Westchester County, was stopped at 9:30 a.m., according to state police. Smith surrendered 23.4 grams of synthetic marijuana — also known as K2 or Spice — which was being held in the fingertips of a latex glove, prison authorities said.
• Jennifer Gilbert, 50, of Rochester, was stopped at 10 a.m., state police said. Gilbert was found with the drug hidden in a rubber balloon, and she was caught in the visiting room during a visitation with her son, authorities said.
• Kelsey R. Lauster, 22, of Clyde, Wayne County, was stopped at 12:30 p.m., troopers stated. Lauster was caught with 25.4 grams of synthetic marijuana, also hidden in the fingertips of latex gloves, authorities said.
All three women are charged with one count each of second-degree introduction of prison contraband, second-degree reckless endangerment and violating the state sanitary code, troopers said. They are scheduled to appear in Town Court.
The three inmates involved were reassigned to special housing and will face disciplinary charges, prison authorities said.
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Charged in Sunoco robbery
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Rome school district honored with Best Communities for Music Education designation
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Seasonal Sports to replace damaged sign at Bobby Page Memorial Fields
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Fire destroys garage in Lee Center
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Utica College student accused of threats offered plea deal
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Utica College to hold special ed open house Wednesday
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Rome Clean and Green to participate for 20th year in Keep America Beautiful Great American Clean Up
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Local jobless rate falls
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Holland Patent receives school safety award
- 4:00pm 04/20/18SUNY Poly to host Mohawk Valley Mini Maker Faire