Threat against RFA investigated
A threat of violence made against Rome Free Academy during a private conversation late last year has been investigated by the Rome Police Department.
Police spokesman Detective Jeffrey M. Lanigan said two friends were chatting privately on social media in early December when one of them, a 16-year-old boy, made a “shooting threat” in regards to the school. Police said the boy’s friend was against the idea and the two of them discussed it briefly before moving on. Following the fatal school shooting in Parkland, Fla. on Feb. 14, Lanigan said the friend decided to finally come forward to authorities about the comment the other teen had made.
“We investigated it,” Lanigan said. “There was nothing criminal that could be pursued, so everything was turned over to the school district.”
In order for a criminal charge of making a terroristic threat, the threat must cause public alarm, Lanigan explained. The threat in question was made in a private conversation.
Lanigan said the teen who made the threat will be monitored by the department’s Juvenile Aid Division going forward.
“They’ll definitely keep an eye on him,” Lanigan said.
- 6:59pm 03/19/18Prosecutor: Coffin was still in possession of murder weapon when taken into custody
- 4:10pm 03/19/18First of two maple weekends a big, sticky success at VVS
- 4:00pm 03/19/18Corning Museum’s GlassBarge to make stop in Sylvan Beach
- 4:00pm 03/19/18Dialogue with super March 26
- 4:00pm 03/19/18Board debate builds over proposals for architect services
- 4:00pm 03/19/18Bellamy Elementary School holds craft fair
- 4:00pm 03/19/18Man, 28, accused of whipping child with towel
- 4:00pm 03/19/18Rome Sports Hall of Fame scoops up Stewart’s grant
- 4:00pm 03/19/18Registration open for 21st annual ‘Ted’ Moore Run
- 4:00pm 03/19/18Driver charged with DWI after car, foot chase