Teen charged with burglary
A 17-year-old is charged with felony burglary after a homeowner on South Madison Street chased the teen away from his shed early this morning, according to law enforcement officials.
Police said Ethan A. Sherman, of 425 Henry St., entered the South Madison Street shed at about 12:30 a.m. and stole a snowmobile key. Police said he is charged with one count of third-degree burglary.
In a statement to police, the homeowner said his shed has been broken into before, and tracks in the snow have always led to the same residence on Henry Street. When his fiancee told him that someone was in their shed again this morning, the homeowner told police that he quietly snuck outside to see for himself.
“As I snuck outside, I saw a guy walk out from behind my work truck parked in front of my shed,” the homeowner told police. “I asked the guy, ‘can I help you with anything?’ The guy started walking away and I started chasing him because I didn’t want him to get away again.”
The homeowner told police that he chased the man out of his backyard and to the same house on Henry Street “that the foot prints from prior incidents always lead to.”
Police arrived shortly thereafter, and the homeowner said he pointed the residence out to the officers.
In his own statement to investigators, Sherman admitted to the break-in.
“As I was walking back home, I decided to go into a random person’s garage. There was no specific reason I picked this garage to enter,” Sherman told police.
“I looked around and there was not much I wanted to take. I saw a black pouch laying on a snowmobile and decided to go through it. I found a key and placed it into my pocket and left the garage,” Sherman said in his statement. “As I was leaving the garage, a male saw me walking out and ran after me. I ran to my house on Henry Street.”
Sherman was held in lockup to await arraignment today in City Court.
- 4:10pm 02/17/18Jervis Public Library acknowledges fourth quarter donations, gifts
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Students honored for demonstrating outstanding character
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Rome district to begin Pre-K registration Feb. 26
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Meetings — Monday, Feb. 19, 2018
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Man gets 90 months in prison in child porn case
- 4:00pm 02/17/18DWI charge in Lowville crash
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Public Safety Logs — Feb. 17, 2018
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Movies — Feb. 17, 2018
- 12:00pm 02/17/18Attendance more than doubles at Verona Beach State Park, officials report
- 11:30am 02/17/18New York offers free fishing weekend and ice fishing clinic