Sign damaged at baseball complex
A park sign for the Bobby Page Memorial Fields on Bell Road has been destroyed and Rome Police are investigating.
But nobody is sure when the sign was damaged.
Pete Summa Jr., player agent with the Rome Youth Baseball League, said the damaged sign was discovered earlier this month, and he notified the Bobby Page Memorial Foundation.
Summa said he also notified Rome Police of the damage on Tuesday.
“It’s a shame that somebody would go out and do something like that,” Summa said today.
Police spokesman Det. Jeffrey M. Lanigan said that, due to the dead grass underneath the sign, it is believed that the damage may have occurred in the Fall, with the sign lying on the ground underneath the snow all Winter. Summa said the fields are not used between when they close down in late Fall and reopen in the Spring.
Anyone with information on the damage can call Rome Police at 315-337-7780. All calls will be kept confidential.
Anonymous email tips can be sent from the website www.romepd.com.
The fields are home to the Rome Youth Baseball league, which offers competitive and recreational baseball play for boys and girls aged 4 to 12, featuring divisions in T-ball (ages 4-5); Rookie League (ages 5-7) where coaches pitch to players; minor league (ages 7-10), where players begin to pitch and major 70 (ages 9 and older).
In addition to the Rome Youth Baseball organization, the fields are also home to the Rome River Rats, a travel baseball organization which promotes additional competitive opportunities for area youngsters.
The River Rats typically play against other travel teams from nearby communities as well as teams from the Albany-area.
- 4:00pm 08/18/18RACC wraps up Artletics program
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Former Roman named president of state Funeral Directors Association
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Public hearing on tax levy in Oneida on Tuesday
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Planet Fitness in Rome to completely modernize and remodel
- 4:00pm 08/18/18RPD holds Kops 4 Kids cookout
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Firemen's Field named after Prosser
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Adirondack Scenic Railroad launches rail bike excursions
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Madison County deputies probe fatal crash
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Crash sends three to hospital as driver tries to avoid deer
- 4:00pm 08/18/18AmeriCU honored with award