Sherrill businesses report scam
CITY OF SHERRILL — Several businesses in Sherrill have recently reported scam telephone calls threatening to shut off electricity if payment was not made immediately.
City officials said the scammers used the telephone number “800-315-6706” and claimed to be either “Tony Gomez” or “Amy Williams.” The scammers threatened to shut off power to the business if they didn’t make a payment within half an hour.
Officials said no city agencies would be calling from an 800-number, nor would they demand utility bill payment within such a short time frame.
The Sherrill Police Department is investigating, and authorities warned that the scam may move to other municipalities.
If you have questions about your utilities in Sherrill, you’re asked to verify the information with City Hall at 315-363-2440.
- 4:00pm 08/18/18RACC wraps up Artletics program
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Former Roman named president of state Funeral Directors Association
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Public hearing on tax levy in Oneida on Tuesday
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Planet Fitness in Rome to completely modernize and remodel
- 4:00pm 08/18/18RPD holds Kops 4 Kids cookout
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Firemen's Field named after Prosser
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Adirondack Scenic Railroad launches rail bike excursions
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Madison County deputies probe fatal crash
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Crash sends three to hospital as driver tries to avoid deer
- 4:00pm 08/18/18AmeriCU honored with award