Sheriff's Office releases names of pair killed in murder-suicide
TOWN OF SULLIVAN — The identities of the man and woman killed in a murder/suicide in Madison County have been identified.
Adam C. Atkinson, age 43, shot and killed Amy M. Sliwowski, age 47, then shot and killed himself at a residence in Sullivan Monday afternoon, according to the Madison County Sheriff's Office. The authorities did not release the nature of Atkinson's relationship with Sliwowski.
Authorities said they received a call to 9-1-1 at 2:41 p.m. about a possible domestic dispute with a single gunshot. Authorities previously said Atkinson called a family member earlier in the day, and that family member called 9-1-1 after going to the residence to help and hearing the gunshot.
Responding law enforcers, including state police and other local agencies, set up a perimeter around the residence because they knew Atkinson had access to a long rifle.
At 6 p.m., a SWAT team entered the residence and found both Atkinson and Sliwowski dead. Autopsies were conducted on their bodies, and authorities said they determined that Atkinson shot Sliwowski and then himself.
- 4:01pm 02/19/18Plan would shutter Annsville Elementary
- 4:00pm 02/19/18Assemblyman airs concerns over budget transparency
- 4:00pm 02/19/18Fishing derby at Delta Lake
- 4:00pm 02/19/18Roof collapses at former Waterbury & Son Felt Company
- 4:00pm 02/19/18Furnace blamed in Clinton fire; man displaced
- 4:00pm 02/19/18Griffo, colleague ask SUNY to buy local
- 4:00pm 02/19/18NEON Night Racing for drones to be held in April at SUNY Poly
- 4:00pm 02/19/18Utica man linked to overdose deaths, troopers say
- 4:00pm 02/19/18Real estate broker named to advisory board
- 4:00pm 02/19/18Holy Cross Academy hosts survivor of Holocaust