Officer Kevin Crossley
Rome Police to send contingent to honor fallen officer
The Rome Police Department will be sending a contingent of about 35 to 40 uniformed officers to the funeral of fallen Whitesboro Police Officer Kevin Crossley on Wednesday.
Police Chief Kevin C. Beach and Deputy Police Chief Kevin M. Simons will be among them. They are expected to be joined by hundreds of officers from across New York State and beyond.
“It’s important for members of law enforcement to stick together and show our support at a time of tragic loss, like this,” said Chief Beach this morning.
“It’s like losing a member of your family. When somebody else suffers a loss, we all suffer a loss.”
The funeral will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the Adirondack Bank Center at the Utica Memorial Auditorium. Public calling hours will also be at the Aud from 5 to 8 p.m. today.
State police said the investigation is continuing into the crash that killed Crossley on Oriskany Boulevard in Whitesboro on the night of April 11.
Authorities said Crossley, age, 34, was on patrol when his police cruiser collided nearly head-on with a vehicle turning onto Westmoreland Street, shortly before 8 p.m. No charges have been filed so far.
Crossley was a 7-year veteran of the Whitesboro Police Department. He is survived by his parents and a longtime girlfriend.
- 4:10pm 05/25/18Rome Elks use unique fundraiser to aid area vets
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Amber Alert issued for 14-month-old
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Defendant in UC threat case charged with theft
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Motorcyclist charged after nearly year-long investigation into New Hartford accident
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Sylvan Beach, county finalizing plan to close unsupervised swimming area
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Pair of anglers accused of breaking fishing limits
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Steel workers union endorses Brindisi for Congress
- 4:00pm 05/25/18City casts net again for rescheduled fishing derby
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Community Bank donates $10,000 to Rome Hospital Foundation
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Turning Stone names new director of nightlife