NOT SO E-Z — The E-ZPass lane of the Verona Thruway exit was closed Sunday afternoon when this Toyota Prius flipped onto its roof. State police said the driver was under the influence of marijuana and his car hit the curb. No one was injured. (Photo submitted by Lisa Ballou)
Rome man unhurt as car flips at toll booth; accused of DUI
TOWN OF VERONA — A Rome man escaped without injury after law enforcers said his car flipped onto its roof in the toll lane of the Verona Thruway exit Sunday afternoon.
State police said Charles D. Whittier, 54, 6632 Greenway-New London Road, was exiting the Thruway at about 3:22 p.m. when his 2013 Toyota Prius hit the curb at the toll booths and flipped onto its roof in the middle of the E-ZPass lane.
Troopers said no one was injured and the vehicle did not strike any toll booths.
“He claims he was reaching for something in his vehicle and he hit the curb,” explained Sgt. Rick Willower, of Syracuse.
A toll booth operator called 9-1-1.
Whittier was driving under the influence of marijuana, Willower explained. Whittier has a medical license to possess marijuana, he stated.
Whittier is charged with driving under the influence of drugs, troopers said. The charge is a felony because of a previous driving while intoxicated charge within the past 10 years, the sergeant stated. Whittier was released on an appearance ticket to Town Court at a later date.
- 4:00pm 08/18/18RACC wraps up Artletics program
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Former Roman named president of state Funeral Directors Association
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Public hearing on tax levy in Oneida on Tuesday
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Planet Fitness in Rome to completely modernize and remodel
- 4:00pm 08/18/18RPD holds Kops 4 Kids cookout
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Firemen's Field named after Prosser
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Adirondack Scenic Railroad launches rail bike excursions
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Madison County deputies probe fatal crash
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Crash sends three to hospital as driver tries to avoid deer
- 4:00pm 08/18/18AmeriCU honored with award