NOT SO E-Z — The E-ZPass lane of the Verona Thruway exit was closed Sunday afternoon when this Toyota Prius flipped onto its roof. State police said the driver was under the influence of marijuana and his car hit the curb. No one was injured. (Photo submitted by Lisa Ballou)
Rome man unhurt as car flips at toll booth; accused of DUI
TOWN OF VERONA — A Rome man escaped without injury after law enforcers said his car flipped onto its roof in the toll lane of the Verona Thruway exit Sunday afternoon.
State police said Charles D. Whittier, 54, 6632 Greenway-New London Road, was exiting the Thruway at about 3:22 p.m. when his 2013 Toyota Prius hit the curb at the toll booths and flipped onto its roof in the middle of the E-ZPass lane.
Troopers said no one was injured and the vehicle did not strike any toll booths.
“He claims he was reaching for something in his vehicle and he hit the curb,” explained Sgt. Rick Willower, of Syracuse.
A toll booth operator called 9-1-1.
Whittier was driving under the influence of marijuana, Willower explained. Whittier has a medical license to possess marijuana, he stated.
Whittier is charged with driving under the influence of drugs, troopers said. The charge is a felony because of a previous driving while intoxicated charge within the past 10 years, the sergeant stated. Whittier was released on an appearance ticket to Town Court at a later date.
- 4:01pm 03/16/18National Grid bills to go up starting next month
- 4:00pm 03/16/18Olympian to speak at Rome Sports Hall of Fame event on April 7
- 4:00pm 03/16/18MVCC to host info session for student-athletes
- 4:00pm 03/16/18Trial of accused killer set to begin Monday with jury selection
- 4:00pm 03/16/18Students at Ridge Mills Science Fair explain it all
- 4:00pm 03/16/18Pair of state lawmakers back legislation on prescription drug costs
- 4:00pm 03/16/18Lee extends application deadline for water supervisor
- 4:00pm 03/16/18County moves up 11 places in state health ranking
- 4:00pm 03/16/18MVHS, project manager report progress on $480M downtown Utica hospital
- 4:00pm 03/16/18Public Safety Logs —March 16, 2018