Rome man faces weapons charges
A 24-year-old man has been charged with possessing a handgun following a dispute on West Fox Street Sunday afternoon, according to local law enforcement officials.
Police said Kenneth G. Soberanis Jr., of Rome, was in a dispute with another person on West Fox Street at about 4 p.m. Sunday, and witnesses saw Soberanis display a handgun.
Officers investigated and learned that Soberanis was hiding at a residence in the 100 block of W. Thomas St., the law enforcers said.
A perimeter was set up around the residence and Soberanis was found hiding in a first-floor bathroom, with a loaded .22-caliber handgun, authorities stated.
Soberanis is charged with one count each of second and third-degree possession of a weapon, both felonies, police said. Soberanis was arraigned in City Court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or bond. He is scheduled to appear in court.
Police said the investigation is continuing and additional charges are pending.
- 11:58am 10/17/18Candidates square off in forum
- 4:00pm 10/16/18County, Oneida Nation, libraries team up to get books in bassinets
- 4:00pm 10/16/18NBT Bank announces new vice president
- 4:00pm 10/16/18Event to aid animal rescue group
- 4:00pm 10/16/18Get a reusable goodies bag for trick-or-treating
- 4:00pm 10/16/18Good Buy Bazaar this weekend at St. Peter’s
- 4:00pm 10/16/18State offers up to $50K to help new farmers expand or improve their operations
- 4:00pm 10/16/18NAACP’s Freedom Fund event Saturday
- 4:00pm 10/16/18Turning Stone boutiques set grand opening for Nov. 1
- 4:00pm 10/16/18Madison County increases price of Solid Waste Punch Cards