Rome man faces weapons charges
A 24-year-old man has been charged with possessing a handgun following a dispute on West Fox Street Sunday afternoon, according to local law enforcement officials.
Police said Kenneth G. Soberanis Jr., of Rome, was in a dispute with another person on West Fox Street at about 4 p.m. Sunday, and witnesses saw Soberanis display a handgun.
Officers investigated and learned that Soberanis was hiding at a residence in the 100 block of W. Thomas St., the law enforcers said.
A perimeter was set up around the residence and Soberanis was found hiding in a first-floor bathroom, with a loaded .22-caliber handgun, authorities stated.
Soberanis is charged with one count each of second and third-degree possession of a weapon, both felonies, police said. Soberanis was arraigned in City Court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or bond. He is scheduled to appear in court.
Police said the investigation is continuing and additional charges are pending.
- 4:10pm 09/18/18Talk early about dementia
- 4:00pm 09/18/18Feds expect to add bite to funding bill to fight Lyme disease
- 4:00pm 09/18/18Test drives to benefit programs at schools
- 4:00pm 09/18/18Elks Lodge to host craft fair
- 4:00pm 09/18/18Journal names local business to Best Places to Work in Central NY list
- 4:00pm 09/18/18Boonville VFW to hold Bike-A-Thon to aid program for veterans
- 4:00pm 09/18/18MVHS hosts events to mark National Adult Day Health Care Services Week
- 4:00pm 09/18/18Rome BOCES site launches evening HSE program
- 4:00pm 09/18/18Community Bank N.A. in Oneida promotes Matters to branch manager
- 4:00pm 09/18/18Meetings — Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2018