Rome man faces weapons charges
A 24-year-old man has been charged with possessing a handgun following a dispute on West Fox Street Sunday afternoon, according to local law enforcement officials.
Police said Kenneth G. Soberanis Jr., of Rome, was in a dispute with another person on West Fox Street at about 4 p.m. Sunday, and witnesses saw Soberanis display a handgun.
Officers investigated and learned that Soberanis was hiding at a residence in the 100 block of W. Thomas St., the law enforcers said.
A perimeter was set up around the residence and Soberanis was found hiding in a first-floor bathroom, with a loaded .22-caliber handgun, authorities stated.
Soberanis is charged with one count each of second and third-degree possession of a weapon, both felonies, police said. Soberanis was arraigned in City Court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or bond. He is scheduled to appear in court.
Police said the investigation is continuing and additional charges are pending.
- 4:10pm 05/24/18Sylvan Beach gears up for sun, fun
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Dairy farmers share concerns with county officials at forum
- 4:00pm 05/24/18French and Indian War Weekend returns to Fort Stanwix
- 4:00pm 05/24/18City reaches five-year pact with police union
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Kirkland Bird Club to offer hike
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Great Swamp to host free event with expert angler
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Patrols to be out in force Memorial Day weekend
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Movies — May 24, 2018
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Holy Cross Academy celebrates 20 years of service, educating area youth
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Red Cross installs over 900 smoke alarms