Joseph R. Butler
Rome man busted for untaxed cigarettes, cocaine and marijuana
A Rome man was taken into custody Friday after being found in possession of a large quantity of untaxed cigarettes, as well as cocaine, marijuana and packaging materials.
For the past several months, the Rome Police Special Investigations Unit and the state Department of Tax and Finance – Criminal Investigations Division, have been conducting a joint investigation into the illegal possession, sales and transportation of untaxed cigarettes, Rome Police Det. Jeffrey M. Lanigan said.
On Friday at 8:39 a.m., investigators with the Criminal Investigations Division of the state Department of Tax and Finance confronted a suspect on Abbott Avenue, in the rear of 711 Kent St. A quantity of unstamped cigarettes was seen in a vehicle, Lanigan said. Detectives assigned to the Special Investigations Unit were contacted and responded to assist with the investigation and subsequent arrest.
Lanigan said Joseph R. Butler, 27, was discovered to be in possession of a large quantity of unstamped cigarettes, cocaine and an undisclosed amount of cash. A digital scale, quantity of marijuana and packaging materials were also seized, he said.
Butler was charged with third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, a class B felony; as well as possession of 92 cartons of unstamped (untaxed) cigarettes in violation of Article 37 of the state Tax Law, a class E felony. Additional charges are pending by a county grand jury, Lanigan said.
Butler was held in city lockup until his arraignment in City Court.
- 4:10pm 11/17/18City’s Codes Department unveils hybrid car fleet $100,000 state grant funds purchase of new, energy-efficient vehicles
- 4:00pm 11/17/18DEC seeks input on managing Tug Hill lands
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Civic group honors AmeriCu’s Manuele
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Drivers urged to think safety as winter descends on region
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Woman gets probation for theft
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Eight area residents among state police grads
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Jervis serves as collection point for multiple community outreach efforts
- 4:00pm 11/17/18State champion RFA Marching Band receives commendation
- 4:00pm 11/17/18School board debates membership in statewide association
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Public Safety Logs — Nov. 17, 2018