Rome man, 25, killed in shooting
Rome Police are investigating the shooting death of a 25-year-old man in the parking lot behind Sammy G’s at 417 W. Dominick St. early this morning, according to local investigators.
The fatal shooting is the first homicide of the year in the city.
Thomas Shepherd Jr., 25, was transported by ambulance to Rome Memorial Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries, police officials said.
Det. Jeffrey M. Lanigan said the incident occurred at 3:28 this morning in the parking lot near the alleyway behind Sammy G’s. The detective said he believed the shooting stemmed from a disagreement in the parking lot.
Later this morning the establishment was still bordered by yellow police caution tape and officers remained at the scene.
The suspect is still at large, but Lanigan said, the police department is considering the shooting an isolated incident.
It is still not known what type of firearm was used.
There were unconfirmed reports that the victim was shot in the face. Asked about the fatal wound, Lanigan said, “The medical examiner is at Rome Hospital now,” adding that he could not confirm where Shepherd was shot.
But “it was a single gunshot wound,” Lanigan added.
The detective said he and police were speaking with witnesses this morning. He could not yet provide a description of the suspect.
Investigators were still at the scene as of 10:30.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the Rome Police Detective Division at 315-339-7715. Calls will be kept confidential.
- 4:10pm 11/18/17Pendorf, Blackall honored for contributions to Rome’s historical preservation
- 4:00pm 11/18/17BOE approves overseas trip; mulls association expense
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Oneida Common Council reviews 2018 budget with water, police departments
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Gift sign-ups start Nov. 27 at rescue mission
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Steuben justice resigns following private investigation
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Public Safety Logs — Nov. 18, 2017
- 4:00pm 11/18/17‘Stuff the Bus’ kicks-off today
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Meetings — Monday, Nov. 20
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Genius NY names 16 semifinalists
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Syracuse man charged with DUI in two-vehicle Verona crash