Rome man, 25, killed in shooting
Rome Police are investigating the shooting death of a 25-year-old man in the parking lot behind Sammy G’s at 417 W. Dominick St. early this morning, according to local investigators.
The fatal shooting is the first homicide of the year in the city.
Thomas Shepherd Jr., 25, was transported by ambulance to Rome Memorial Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries, police officials said.
Det. Jeffrey M. Lanigan said the incident occurred at 3:28 this morning in the parking lot near the alleyway behind Sammy G’s. The detective said he believed the shooting stemmed from a disagreement in the parking lot.
Later this morning the establishment was still bordered by yellow police caution tape and officers remained at the scene.
The suspect is still at large, but Lanigan said, the police department is considering the shooting an isolated incident.
It is still not known what type of firearm was used.
There were unconfirmed reports that the victim was shot in the face. Asked about the fatal wound, Lanigan said, “The medical examiner is at Rome Hospital now,” adding that he could not confirm where Shepherd was shot.
But “it was a single gunshot wound,” Lanigan added.
The detective said he and police were speaking with witnesses this morning. He could not yet provide a description of the suspect.
Investigators were still at the scene as of 10:30.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the Rome Police Detective Division at 315-339-7715. Calls will be kept confidential.
- 4:21pm 01/20/18Festival fills Friday night with music
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Oneida celebrates National School Choice Week
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Enthusiastic response for robots demonstration at BOE meeting
- 4:00pm 01/20/18MWPAI adds trustees to board
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Bartell Machinery Systems receives pair of awards
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Lawrence named to GLDC board
- 4:00pm 01/20/18BOCES offers continuing education classes
- 4:00pm 01/20/18No cause yet in fatal fire
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Board approves Oneida lacrosse request, retirement extension
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Land trust group voices concerns over proposed wind energy facility