Rome firefighters plan to Fill the Boot for Muscular Dystrophy Assn.
City firefighters will once again host a fundraising Fill the Boot campaign on Friday to support the Muscular Dystrophy
Association, department officials have announced.
Firefighters will be at the intersection of West Liberty
and North James streets from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 14, holding out boots to passing cars for donations,
The city fire department has been using the Fill the Boot campaign to raise money for more than 60 years, officials stated.
All funds raised on Friday will go to the Muscular Dystrophy Association to support medical research and life-enhancement programs, including the MDA Care Centers at University
Hospital in Syracuse and the Rotary Sunshine Campus
“We are thrilled to be working with the Rome Firefighters International Association of Fire Fighters Local 694 for another year of Fill the Boot to help provide the funds needed to find treatments and cures for muscular dystrophy, ALS and related diseases that severely limit strength and mobility,” said MDA Development Specialist David Ciesielski in a release.
“The dedication of these firefighters to MDA’s mission is unwavering, spending countless hours both with Fill the Boot and MDA Summer Camp to care for the kids and adults in Central and Western New York. We know that their devotion to our families will make this year’s drive a success,” Cieselski added.
Muscular dystrophy is a group of diseases that cause progressive weakness and loss of muscle mass, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control. In muscular dystrophy, abnormal genes interfere with the production of proteins needed to form healthy muscle.
- 11:38am 09/25/18Westmoreland firefighters rescue dog
- 4:02pm 09/24/18Gas prices remain steady in region, AAA survey reports
- 4:01pm 09/24/18Thousands descend on the Remsen Barn Fest
- 4:00pm 09/24/18Saturday's Royalty and Rogues IV festival in Stittville
- 4:00pm 09/24/18Meetings — Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2018
- 4:00pm 09/24/18Man injured in flipped vehicle trying to avoid deer
- 4:00pm 09/24/18Community Foundation offers training for non-profits
- 4:00pm 09/24/18Pair of Oneida residents charged with driving stolen car
- 4:00pm 09/24/18Crash sends couple to hospital
- 4:00pm 09/24/18200 jobs, millions in investment projected for drone zone