Rome firefighters plan to Fill the Boot for Muscular Dystrophy Assn.
City firefighters will once again host a fundraising Fill the Boot campaign on Friday to support the Muscular Dystrophy
Association, department officials have announced.
Firefighters will be at the intersection of West Liberty
and North James streets from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 14, holding out boots to passing cars for donations,
The city fire department has been using the Fill the Boot campaign to raise money for more than 60 years, officials stated.
All funds raised on Friday will go to the Muscular Dystrophy Association to support medical research and life-enhancement programs, including the MDA Care Centers at University
Hospital in Syracuse and the Rotary Sunshine Campus
“We are thrilled to be working with the Rome Firefighters International Association of Fire Fighters Local 694 for another year of Fill the Boot to help provide the funds needed to find treatments and cures for muscular dystrophy, ALS and related diseases that severely limit strength and mobility,” said MDA Development Specialist David Ciesielski in a release.
“The dedication of these firefighters to MDA’s mission is unwavering, spending countless hours both with Fill the Boot and MDA Summer Camp to care for the kids and adults in Central and Western New York. We know that their devotion to our families will make this year’s drive a success,” Cieselski added.
Muscular dystrophy is a group of diseases that cause progressive weakness and loss of muscle mass, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control. In muscular dystrophy, abnormal genes interfere with the production of proteins needed to form healthy muscle.
- 4:10pm 11/17/18City’s Codes Department unveils hybrid car fleet $100,000 state grant funds purchase of new, energy-efficient vehicles
- 4:00pm 11/17/18DEC seeks input on managing Tug Hill lands
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Civic group honors AmeriCu’s Manuele
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Drivers urged to think safety as winter descends on region
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Woman gets probation for theft
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Eight area residents among state police grads
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Jervis serves as collection point for multiple community outreach efforts
- 4:00pm 11/17/18State champion RFA Marching Band receives commendation
- 4:00pm 11/17/18School board debates membership in statewide association
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Public Safety Logs — Nov. 17, 2018