Police release name of victim
TOWN OF MARCY — A 23-year-old Oriskany Falls woman was killed when the vehicle she was riding in on the Thruway was struck by a tractor trailer Tuesday night.
State police said Bridget M. Shantal was riding with Anthony Lopez, 40, of Yorkville, eastbound on the Thruway at about 11:23 p.m. when Lopez lost control of his 2015 Chevy Cruz. The Chevy hit the guiderail on the south side of the highway and came to rest facing south across both lanes of travel.
A tractor trailer behind Lopez and Shantal was unable to stop in time for their disabled vehicle, troopers said. The truck crashed into the passenger side of the Chevy. Shantal was pronounced dead at the scene. Both drivers were hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.
Lopez and the driver of the tractor trailer, Surindra Phulnauth, 47, of the Bronx, were both taken to local hospitals with non-life threatening injuries, troopers said.
The accident remains under investigation. Troopers said no charges have been filed so far.
- 12:00pm 06/23/18345 get diplomas at RFA commencement ceremony
- 4:10pm 06/22/18Three grads at NYSSD look forward to the “adventures” of the future
- 4:00pm 06/22/18RFA graduation slated for 10 a.m.
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Harden closes again
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Drivers to get view of ‘Nature’s Wrath’
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Holland Patent High School names 2018 academic leaders
- 4:00pm 06/22/18High above Rome
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Brindisi, Tenney trade barbs on federal immigration policies
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Teen accused of having sex with underage girl
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Guatemalan at center of local controversy pleads guilty