Police release name of victim
TOWN OF MARCY — A 23-year-old Oriskany Falls woman was killed when the vehicle she was riding in on the Thruway was struck by a tractor trailer Tuesday night.
State police said Bridget M. Shantal was riding with Anthony Lopez, 40, of Yorkville, eastbound on the Thruway at about 11:23 p.m. when Lopez lost control of his 2015 Chevy Cruz. The Chevy hit the guiderail on the south side of the highway and came to rest facing south across both lanes of travel.
A tractor trailer behind Lopez and Shantal was unable to stop in time for their disabled vehicle, troopers said. The truck crashed into the passenger side of the Chevy. Shantal was pronounced dead at the scene. Both drivers were hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.
Lopez and the driver of the tractor trailer, Surindra Phulnauth, 47, of the Bronx, were both taken to local hospitals with non-life threatening injuries, troopers said.
The accident remains under investigation. Troopers said no charges have been filed so far.
- 4:00pm 09/19/18GOP’s Molinaro gets Picente endorsement
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Board approves paving project to ease Strough parking woes
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Possible harmful algae blooms found on Oneida Lake
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Flu season coming on quickly, health department warns; officials say the time is now to get annual flu vaccine
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Utica man accused of raping two children
- 4:00pm 09/19/18-
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Two charged as accomplices in DeWitt slayings
- 4:00pm 09/19/18State begins weekly fall foliage reports
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Brindisi: Public would suffer from proposed health care merger
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Meetings — Thursday, Sept. 20