Police release name of victim
TOWN OF MARCY — A 23-year-old Oriskany Falls woman was killed when the vehicle she was riding in on the Thruway was struck by a tractor trailer Tuesday night.
State police said Bridget M. Shantal was riding with Anthony Lopez, 40, of Yorkville, eastbound on the Thruway at about 11:23 p.m. when Lopez lost control of his 2015 Chevy Cruz. The Chevy hit the guiderail on the south side of the highway and came to rest facing south across both lanes of travel.
A tractor trailer behind Lopez and Shantal was unable to stop in time for their disabled vehicle, troopers said. The truck crashed into the passenger side of the Chevy. Shantal was pronounced dead at the scene. Both drivers were hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.
Lopez and the driver of the tractor trailer, Surindra Phulnauth, 47, of the Bronx, were both taken to local hospitals with non-life threatening injuries, troopers said.
The accident remains under investigation. Troopers said no charges have been filed so far.
- 11:30am 03/24/18Clinton attorney declares run for Oneida Co. Family Court judge
- 4:10pm 03/23/18Rome to get $1M from state to remediate former Rome Cable site
- 4:00pm 03/23/18City finalizes proposal for $10M downtown revitalization plan
- 4:00pm 03/23/18BOCES holds Open House
- 4:00pm 03/23/18Driver hurt after being cut off by school bus
- 4:00pm 03/23/18Utica woman accused of trying to attack social worker
- 4:00pm 03/23/18Stabbing victim dies of injuries
- 4:00pm 03/23/18Rome students to march, rally Saturday
- 4:00pm 03/23/18Pets can get pictures with Easter Bunny
- 4:00pm 03/23/18Pre-licensing class offered March 31 at Holy Cross Academy