Passenger injured in Route 5 crash
TOWN OF WESTMORELAND — A passenger was hospitalized after a two-vehicle collision at the intersection of Routes 5 and 233 Sunday afternoon, according to local law enforcement investigators.
Sheriff’s deputies said Maria Neporanny, 73, of Utica, was stopped in the intersection facing east at 3 p.m., waiting to turn north onto Route 233.
Deputies said Jordon Smith, 20, of Clinton, was eastbound and was distracted by another passing motorist.
Authorities said Smith’s vehicle collided with Neporanny’s and Smith was ticketed.
A passenger in Smith’s vehicle, 21-year-old Carleigh Hughes, was taken to St. Luke’s Hospital in New Hartford for minor injuries, deputies stated.
- 4:00pm 02/23/18No. 2 on sheriff’s Most Wanted List in custody
- 4:00pm 02/23/18Herkimer man accused of attempting to conceal wife’s body in kitchen
- 4:00pm 02/23/18Tops surpasses goal, raising over 3 million meals for those in need
- 4:00pm 02/23/18Moonlight Trail Walk Saturday at Delta Lake
- 4:00pm 02/23/18State flu report shows illness’ surge may be ebbing
- 4:00pm 02/23/18Apply by Monday for Civilian Police Academy
- 4:00pm 02/23/18Rome Lab director announces he’s leaving
- 4:00pm 02/23/18Large pool of candidates for elementary principal positions
- 4:00pm 02/23/18Believe 271 Foundation to offer scholarship
- 4:00pm 02/23/18Relay for Life of the North Country to host kickoff event March 7