Passenger dies in Lewis County accident; driver charged with DWI, vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF NEW BREMEN — A 21-year-old man was killed after the vehicle he was riding in crashed in Lewis County early Sunday morning.
Sheriff’s deputies said the driver has been charged with driving drunk and vehicular manslaughter.
Deputies said Mathew Schweinsberg, 23, of Route 126, Watertown, Jefferson County, was westbound on Soft Maple Road shortly after 3 a.m. when he lost control of his 1997 Ford F-350 pickup truck on a curve.
Deputies said the pickup went off the roadway, rolled over and came to rest against a tree.
Passenger Andrew Freeman, age 21, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Schweinsberg is charged with second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, unsafe tire and unsafe speed on a curve, deputies said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bail or $10,000 bond, the authorities said.
He is scheduled to reappear in court, law enforcers added.
A second passenger, 19-year-old Madison Furgison, was air-lifted to University Hospital in Syracuse for injuries to her lower body. Authorities said she was in good condition at the hospital.
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Police warn drivers to obey crosswalks, lookout for pedestrians
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Police seek help to identify suspect
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Former state trooper arrested second time for drunk driving
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Officials seek to raise awareness of elder abuse
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Camden Class of 1963 to hold 55-year reunion
- 4:00pm 06/20/181973 RFA 45-year class reunion Aug. 10-11
- 4:00pm 06/20/18County Jail to receive $200,000 from state to help with opioid treatment, services
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Meetings — Thursday, June 21, 2018
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Travel Club helps students see world, expand horizons
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Public Safety Logs — June 20, 2018