Passenger dies in Lewis County accident; driver charged with DWI, vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF NEW BREMEN — A 21-year-old man was killed after the vehicle he was riding in crashed in Lewis County early Sunday morning.
Sheriff’s deputies said the driver has been charged with driving drunk and vehicular manslaughter.
Deputies said Mathew Schweinsberg, 23, of Route 126, Watertown, Jefferson County, was westbound on Soft Maple Road shortly after 3 a.m. when he lost control of his 1997 Ford F-350 pickup truck on a curve.
Deputies said the pickup went off the roadway, rolled over and came to rest against a tree.
Passenger Andrew Freeman, age 21, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Schweinsberg is charged with second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, unsafe tire and unsafe speed on a curve, deputies said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bail or $10,000 bond, the authorities said.
He is scheduled to reappear in court, law enforcers added.
A second passenger, 19-year-old Madison Furgison, was air-lifted to University Hospital in Syracuse for injuries to her lower body. Authorities said she was in good condition at the hospital.
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Super is effective, board reports
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Golf tournament, donations aid local teams
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Utica Housing Authority to host workshop for seniors
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Contractor gets support for move to new location in Whitestown
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Two accused of fraud
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Teacher in court for pre-trial hearing
- 4:00pm 09/22/18SUNY Poly receives grant to study blindness from foundation
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Accident snarls traffic at city intersection
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Water main flushing to start Tuesday in Oneida, say officals
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Meetings — Monday, Sept. 24, 2018