Passenger dies in Lewis County accident; driver charged with DWI, vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF NEW BREMEN — A 21-year-old man was killed after the vehicle he was riding in crashed in Lewis County early Sunday morning.
Sheriff’s deputies said the driver has been charged with driving drunk and vehicular manslaughter.
Deputies said Mathew Schweinsberg, 23, of Route 126, Watertown, Jefferson County, was westbound on Soft Maple Road shortly after 3 a.m. when he lost control of his 1997 Ford F-350 pickup truck on a curve.
Deputies said the pickup went off the roadway, rolled over and came to rest against a tree.
Passenger Andrew Freeman, age 21, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Schweinsberg is charged with second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, unsafe tire and unsafe speed on a curve, deputies said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bail or $10,000 bond, the authorities said.
He is scheduled to reappear in court, law enforcers added.
A second passenger, 19-year-old Madison Furgison, was air-lifted to University Hospital in Syracuse for injuries to her lower body. Authorities said she was in good condition at the hospital.
- 4:02pm 01/22/18Man dies after being hit with police Taser
- 4:01pm 01/22/18Rome launches 311 app
- 4:00pm 01/22/18Utica man charged with murder following infant's death
- 4:00pm 01/22/18No arguing over success of speech and debate tourney at RFA
- 4:00pm 01/22/18Meeting on Utica Street bridge rehab Feb. 7
- 4:00pm 01/22/18Council seeks input on PILOT program for solar power systems
- 4:00pm 01/22/18Rome attorney joins financial firm
- 4:00pm 01/22/18Upstate Caring Partners completes affiliation with Syracuse nonprofit organization
- 4:00pm 01/22/18Local scholars lauded at Siena
- 4:00pm 01/22/18Utica hires budget director