Passenger dies in Lewis County accident; driver charged with DWI, vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF NEW BREMEN — A 21-year-old man was killed after the vehicle he was riding in crashed in Lewis County early Sunday morning.
Sheriff’s deputies said the driver has been charged with driving drunk and vehicular manslaughter.
Deputies said Mathew Schweinsberg, 23, of Route 126, Watertown, Jefferson County, was westbound on Soft Maple Road shortly after 3 a.m. when he lost control of his 1997 Ford F-350 pickup truck on a curve.
Deputies said the pickup went off the roadway, rolled over and came to rest against a tree.
Passenger Andrew Freeman, age 21, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Schweinsberg is charged with second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, unsafe tire and unsafe speed on a curve, deputies said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bail or $10,000 bond, the authorities said.
He is scheduled to reappear in court, law enforcers added.
A second passenger, 19-year-old Madison Furgison, was air-lifted to University Hospital in Syracuse for injuries to her lower body. Authorities said she was in good condition at the hospital.
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Second dairy forum Monday evening at CCE in Oriskany
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Joy teacher resigns, letter notes school district failings
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Video game player returns from Las Vegas competition
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Capitol Theatre to host Tuba Christmas on Tuesday
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Bank, Foundation to give $250,000 to aid cancer center
- 4:00pm 12/08/18School district occupational therapist resigns
- 4:00pm 12/08/18RFA to host Wreaths Across America event
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Madison County man charged with larceny, welfare fraud
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Vandal targeting vehicles, houses in Madison County
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Five accused of selling smokes to minors in sting