Passenger dies in Lewis County accident; driver charged with DWI, vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF NEW BREMEN — A 21-year-old man was killed after the vehicle he was riding in crashed in Lewis County early Sunday morning.
Sheriff’s deputies said the driver has been charged with driving drunk and vehicular manslaughter.
Deputies said Mathew Schweinsberg, 23, of Route 126, Watertown, Jefferson County, was westbound on Soft Maple Road shortly after 3 a.m. when he lost control of his 1997 Ford F-350 pickup truck on a curve.
Deputies said the pickup went off the roadway, rolled over and came to rest against a tree.
Passenger Andrew Freeman, age 21, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Schweinsberg is charged with second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, unsafe tire and unsafe speed on a curve, deputies said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bail or $10,000 bond, the authorities said.
He is scheduled to reappear in court, law enforcers added.
A second passenger, 19-year-old Madison Furgison, was air-lifted to University Hospital in Syracuse for injuries to her lower body. Authorities said she was in good condition at the hospital.
- 4:10pm 11/22/17Ribbon cut for new health care services downtown
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Gingerbread Village open at Turning Stone
- 4:00pm 11/22/17House at 426 W. Court St. demolished
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Small businesses to come together Saturday
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Army helicopters at Griffiss
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Lee waits for answers to trickle in from state on well-drilling
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Two run for one seat on Lee Board of Fire Commissioners
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Comets deliver turkeys, and good will, to local families in need
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Sherrill to host Christmas lighting contest
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Discussion on U.S.-Iran relations at Hamilton College