Pair of men charged in illegal street race
A revved engine challenge on West Liberty Street Monday night led to two men being charged for an illegal street race, according to city police.
Police said Dylan J. Kingsley, 22, of 513 Floyd Ave., was stopped westbound on West Liberty Street at about 9:30 p.m. when he said a Dodge Dakota pickup truck pulled up next to him, and the male driver revved the engine on the truck. Police said Terry L. Sochia Jr., 30, of 610 Black River Blvd., was behind the wheel of the pickup, but there was no indication that Kingsley was familiar with Sochia.
A nearby police officer heading eastbound on Liberty heard a loud exhaust and looked to see Sochia in his Dodge and Kingsley in his Chevy Impala racing side-by-side westbound through the 300 block at speeds in excess of 50 mph, authorities stated.
The 300 block has two westbound lanes, with Kingsley in the left lane and Sochia in the right lane, police said. The speed limit in the city is 30 mph.
The police officer hit her lights and siren and spun around, pulling over Kingsley in his Chevy. Police said Sochia continued driving, and was pulled over by another officer a short distance away.
Both Kingsley and Sochia were ticketed for an unauthorized race contest, a misdemeanor, police said. Kingsley was also found with a quantity of marijuana, and he has been charged with unlawful possession of marijuana, authorities stated. Both men are scheduled to appear in City Court.
- 12:00pm 09/24/18Yorkville man rejects plea offer for second-degree murder
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Super is effective, board reports
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Golf tournament, donations aid local teams
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Utica Housing Authority to host workshop for seniors
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Contractor gets support for move to new location in Whitestown
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Two accused of fraud
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Teacher in court for pre-trial hearing
- 4:00pm 09/22/18SUNY Poly receives grant to study blindness from foundation
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Accident snarls traffic at city intersection
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Water main flushing to start Tuesday in Oneida, say officals