Pair escape injury in chimney fire
No one was injured and no one has been displaced after a quick response by city firefighters allowed them to douse a chimney fire and keep it from spreading to other parts of the home on Laurel Street Monday afternoon.
Deputy Fire Chief David L. Gratch said a build-up of creosote in the chimney caused the fire to flare up at 609 Laurel St. shortly before 5 p.m. Creosote is a black, tar-like substance that builds up inside chimneys and requires seasonal cleaning. It is a leading cause of chimney fires in the winter.
“We opened up the walls and ceiling in the house and there was no extension,” Gratch said.
Fire crews climbed to the roof of the two-story residence in order to aim a fire hose down the chimney and clean out the creosote. Gratch said they also initially used dry powder and water-based fire extinguishers to knock down the flames inside the chimney.
The chimney was attached to a wood stove on the first floor of the residence. Laurel Street runs westbound off Turin Street.
Gratch said there were two residents home at the time, and they called 9-1-1 when smoke filled the residence.
Gratch said they were not injured and were able to stay at the residence after the chimney fire was put out.
- 4:10pm 09/20/17Growing firm begins project Industrial development agency to provide incentives
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Pumpkin season
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Maple Leaf Market nears grand opening in Sherrill
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Recovering heroin user gives hope for addicts, families
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Enjoy the sun, forecasters say, as slow, cool shift expected
- 4:00pm 09/20/17City’s Board of Estimate and Contract poised to approve demolition deals
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Psychiatrist pleads guilty in fraud case at state psychiatric center
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Man, 56, accused of breaking into home, harassing residents
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Workshop highlights groups that aid new farmers
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Fundraiser planned for congressional hopeful