Pair charged with meth possession
TOWN OF LYONSDALE — Two men have been charged with possession of methamphetamine following a traffic stop in Lewis County.
Sheriff’s deputies said Joshua E. Hunkins, 29, of 3707 Hunkins Road, Port Leyden, was pulled over on Moose River Road at 12:05 p.m. Thursday for a vehicle equipment violation.
Once he was stopped, deputies said they found a quantity of meth, assorted drug paraphernalia and chemicals used to cook meth inside the engine compartment of the vehicle.
Deputies said Hunkins was also driving on a learner’s permit, and that his passenger, Mitchell S. Smith, 32, of 3346 Elm St., Port Leyden, also did not have a valid driver’s license.
Deputies said Smith was also wanted on an open arrest warrant from Oneida County, so he was turned over to the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office to answer those charges.
Hunkins and Smith have both been charged with one count each of seventh-degree possession of a controlled substance and second-degree possession of meth-making materials, authorities said. They are both scheduled to appear in court.
Authorities said additional charges may be pending.
- 4:02pm 06/23/18345 get diplomas at RFA commencement ceremony
- 4:00pm 06/23/18Oriskany Central School celebrates 2018 commencement ceremony
- 4:00pm 06/23/18Oriskany graduates earn honors
- 4:00pm 06/23/18154 students turn tassels at Camden commencement
- 4:00pm 06/23/18Camden grads receive awards, scholarships
- 4:00pm 06/23/18RFA senior earns special credential
- 4:00pm 06/23/18Conservation officer hooks Madison County angler
- 4:00pm 06/23/18GlassBarge gives free glassblowing demonstrations
- 4:00pm 06/23/18Public Safety Logs — June 23, 2018
- 4:00pm 06/23/18Rome Free Academy valedictorian: ‘Strive to be self aware’