Pair charged with meth possession
TOWN OF LYONSDALE — Two men have been charged with possession of methamphetamine following a traffic stop in Lewis County.
Sheriff’s deputies said Joshua E. Hunkins, 29, of 3707 Hunkins Road, Port Leyden, was pulled over on Moose River Road at 12:05 p.m. Thursday for a vehicle equipment violation.
Once he was stopped, deputies said they found a quantity of meth, assorted drug paraphernalia and chemicals used to cook meth inside the engine compartment of the vehicle.
Deputies said Hunkins was also driving on a learner’s permit, and that his passenger, Mitchell S. Smith, 32, of 3346 Elm St., Port Leyden, also did not have a valid driver’s license.
Deputies said Smith was also wanted on an open arrest warrant from Oneida County, so he was turned over to the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office to answer those charges.
Hunkins and Smith have both been charged with one count each of seventh-degree possession of a controlled substance and second-degree possession of meth-making materials, authorities said. They are both scheduled to appear in court.
Authorities said additional charges may be pending.
- 4:01pm 10/19/18Morning accident in Rome snarled morning traffic
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Express Employment Professionals First Dollar of Profit
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Alexis Jones, founder of I Am That Girl, to speak at MVCC
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Help available to update, change Medicare plans
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Westmoreland’s ‘most mysterious locale’ open to public tonight
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Take Back the Night event for Domestic Violence Awareness Month in Rome
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Adults ticketed after ECOs say teens hunting illegally
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Driver injured, ticketed in crash
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Threat at school leads to investigation
- 4:00pm 10/19/18Oneida Lake boat launch closed temporarily