Pair charged with meth possession
TOWN OF LYONSDALE — Two men have been charged with possession of methamphetamine following a traffic stop in Lewis County.
Sheriff’s deputies said Joshua E. Hunkins, 29, of 3707 Hunkins Road, Port Leyden, was pulled over on Moose River Road at 12:05 p.m. Thursday for a vehicle equipment violation.
Once he was stopped, deputies said they found a quantity of meth, assorted drug paraphernalia and chemicals used to cook meth inside the engine compartment of the vehicle.
Deputies said Hunkins was also driving on a learner’s permit, and that his passenger, Mitchell S. Smith, 32, of 3346 Elm St., Port Leyden, also did not have a valid driver’s license.
Deputies said Smith was also wanted on an open arrest warrant from Oneida County, so he was turned over to the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office to answer those charges.
Hunkins and Smith have both been charged with one count each of seventh-degree possession of a controlled substance and second-degree possession of meth-making materials, authorities said. They are both scheduled to appear in court.
Authorities said additional charges may be pending.
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Only few small hurdles remain for Strough reopening
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Dozens attend area forum on hate crimes
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Officials hail completion of ‘transformative’ Griffiss Parkway
- 4:00pm 08/15/18$2M state grant aims to boost high-tech business
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Beware of new IRS scam
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Yorkville man indicted by grand jury in stabbing death
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Kids Oneida, Children’s Museum to hold block party Thursday
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Meetings — Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Public Safety Logs — Aug. 15, 2018
- 4:00pm 08/15/18R-CATS fundraiser Tuesday at Wendy’s