Pair accused of leaving children home alone
Accused of abandoning four young children home alone in a dirty apartment on Stanwix Street, a couple have both been charged with endangering the welfare of the children.
Police said Jerralee A. Marshall, 24, of 112 Stanwix St., left her four children home alone Tuesday with her boyfriend, 23-year-old Michael J. Brown, while she went to work. Police said the children were ages 1, 3, 6 and 8.
Police said Brown left the residence at about 3:25 p.m., leaving the children home alone.
Police said the apartment was dirty and infested with cockroaches.
About two hours later, police said the father of two of the children arrived at the apartment to visit and found the children home alone.
Police said three of the children had left the residence and were scattered throughout the neighborhood, while the 1-year-old was left alone in the apartment. The father called 9-1-1 at 5:24 p.m.
Police said the city Codes Department was contacted about the conditions in the apartment, and Codes said a hearing had already been scheduled for this week on the matter. Police said Child Protective Services was also called, and all four children were put into the care of an older family member.
Brown and Marshall returned home and both were charged with four counts of endangering the welfare of a child, police said. Brown was additionally charged on an open arrest warrant for a previous criminal contempt charge. Police said Marshall was additionally charged with one count of disorderly conduct when she refused to stop shouting profanities.
The pair are scheduled to appear in City Court.
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Capitol surprised with $10,000 Community Choice Award
- 4:00pm 10/18/18‘Mysteries, Myths & Mayhem’ to abound at Fort Stanwix
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Hiker, 73, rescued from Bald Mountain
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Oneida executive bemoans how community colleges paid for
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Remsen man accused of forging checks
- 4:00pm 10/18/18MVCC signs transfer pact with SUNY Albany
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Firefighters to host hurricane relief pancake breakfast
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Author, broadcaster to discuss new book at Jervis
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Farm Bureau praises Tenney
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Workshop offered at Griffiss Institute