Pair accused of leaving children home alone
Accused of abandoning four young children home alone in a dirty apartment on Stanwix Street, a couple have both been charged with endangering the welfare of the children.
Police said Jerralee A. Marshall, 24, of 112 Stanwix St., left her four children home alone Tuesday with her boyfriend, 23-year-old Michael J. Brown, while she went to work. Police said the children were ages 1, 3, 6 and 8.
Police said Brown left the residence at about 3:25 p.m., leaving the children home alone.
Police said the apartment was dirty and infested with cockroaches.
About two hours later, police said the father of two of the children arrived at the apartment to visit and found the children home alone.
Police said three of the children had left the residence and were scattered throughout the neighborhood, while the 1-year-old was left alone in the apartment. The father called 9-1-1 at 5:24 p.m.
Police said the city Codes Department was contacted about the conditions in the apartment, and Codes said a hearing had already been scheduled for this week on the matter. Police said Child Protective Services was also called, and all four children were put into the care of an older family member.
Brown and Marshall returned home and both were charged with four counts of endangering the welfare of a child, police said. Brown was additionally charged on an open arrest warrant for a previous criminal contempt charge. Police said Marshall was additionally charged with one count of disorderly conduct when she refused to stop shouting profanities.
The pair are scheduled to appear in City Court.
- 4:00pm 09/19/18GOP’s Molinaro gets Picente endorsement
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Board approves paving project to ease Strough parking woes
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Possible harmful algae blooms found on Oneida Lake
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Flu season coming on quickly, health department warns; officials say the time is now to get annual flu vaccine
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Utica man accused of raping two children
- 4:00pm 09/19/18-
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Two charged as accomplices in DeWitt slayings
- 4:00pm 09/19/18State begins weekly fall foliage reports
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Brindisi: Public would suffer from proposed health care merger
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Meetings — Thursday, Sept. 20