Pair accused of leaving children home alone
Accused of abandoning four young children home alone in a dirty apartment on Stanwix Street, a couple have both been charged with endangering the welfare of the children.
Police said Jerralee A. Marshall, 24, of 112 Stanwix St., left her four children home alone Tuesday with her boyfriend, 23-year-old Michael J. Brown, while she went to work. Police said the children were ages 1, 3, 6 and 8.
Police said Brown left the residence at about 3:25 p.m., leaving the children home alone.
Police said the apartment was dirty and infested with cockroaches.
About two hours later, police said the father of two of the children arrived at the apartment to visit and found the children home alone.
Police said three of the children had left the residence and were scattered throughout the neighborhood, while the 1-year-old was left alone in the apartment. The father called 9-1-1 at 5:24 p.m.
Police said the city Codes Department was contacted about the conditions in the apartment, and Codes said a hearing had already been scheduled for this week on the matter. Police said Child Protective Services was also called, and all four children were put into the care of an older family member.
Brown and Marshall returned home and both were charged with four counts of endangering the welfare of a child, police said. Brown was additionally charged on an open arrest warrant for a previous criminal contempt charge. Police said Marshall was additionally charged with one count of disorderly conduct when she refused to stop shouting profanities.
The pair are scheduled to appear in City Court.
- 4:10pm 11/17/18City’s Codes Department unveils hybrid car fleet
- 4:00pm 11/17/18DEC seeks input on managing Tug Hill lands
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Civic group honors AmeriCu’s Manuele
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Drivers urged to think safety as winter descends on region
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Woman gets probation for theft
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Eight area residents among state police grads
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Jervis serves as collection point for multiple community outreach efforts
- 4:00pm 11/17/18State champion RFA Marching Band receives commendation
- 4:00pm 11/17/18School board debates membership in statewide association
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Public Safety Logs — Nov. 17, 2018