Oneida man faces charges in pair of incidents
ONEIDA — A 59-year-old man is facing multiple charges after law enforcers said he was involved in two separate violent encounters in Madison County.
Police said Jerry L. Durr, of 370 Lenox Ave., was intoxicated both times. Acting Police Chief Paul Thompson said the department had received several complaints over the weekend about an intoxicated Durr harassing people, making loud noises and committing quality of life violations — but none of those complaints rose to the need for an arrest, he stated.
Very early Monday morning, Thompson said that a neighbor in Durr’s building confronted him about playing loud music. Police said Durr choked the neighbor, while a child was present.
Durr was released on an appearance ticket at the time on two counts of menacing and one count each of criminal obstruction of breathing and endangering the welfare of a child, authorities stated.
At about 11 p.m. Tuesday, police said Durr went to a different building and confronted several acquaintances. Police said Durr entered their home and threatened them with a weapon, believed to be a pipe. When these victims tried to call for help, police said Durr grabbed their cell phone and stomped on it.
Authorities said Durr shoved the residents and then fought with police officers when they arrived on the scene.
Durr was taken into custody on charges of second-degree burglary, second-degree harassment, fourth-degree mischief, fourth-degree possession of a weapon and resisting arrest, police stated.
Durr was arraigned in City Court and was sent to county jail without bail.
He is scheduled to reappear in court.
- 4:10pm 11/18/17Pendorf, Blackall honored for contributions to Rome’s historical preservation
- 4:00pm 11/18/17BOE approves overseas trip; mulls association expense
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Oneida Common Council reviews 2018 budget with water, police departments
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Gift sign-ups start Nov. 27 at rescue mission
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Steuben justice resigns following private investigation
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Public Safety Logs — Nov. 18, 2017
- 4:00pm 11/18/17‘Stuff the Bus’ kicks-off today
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Meetings — Monday, Nov. 20
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Genius NY names 16 semifinalists
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Syracuse man charged with DUI in two-vehicle Verona crash