Old-fashioned fireplace saves home from burning
TOWN OF VERONA — The old rock construction of a fireplace on Happy Valley Road helped keep a fire from spreading Thursday evening.
New London Fire Chief Gene Carey said the fire started in the fireplace at the one-family residence at about 6 p.m. The family spotted the smoke and flames and evacuated the home, and called 9-1-1. Volunteers from six departments responded.
Carey said the fire was burning deep into the rock foundation of the old fireplace — whereas a newer fireplace would have a wood foundation.
“That’s probably what saved this house from burning to the ground,” Carey said. “We had to break the mantle to get that fire.”
Carey said the damage was contained to the fireplace and mantle. The residence was spared and the family was allowed to stay in their home. No one was injured, the chief stated.
The New London, Durhamville, Sylvan Beach, Vienna, Verona and Taberg fire departments responded.
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Demo begins at DeWitt Clinton site
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Copperccino’s open for business
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Budget approved in Lee; speed study requested
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Area teachers honored by Genesis Group at celebration
- 4:00pm 11/14/18ReStore seeks decoration donations
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Cemetery to place wreaths on vets graves
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Rotary Club seeks host families
- 4:00pm 11/14/18VVS team earns awards at science museum event in Syracuse
- 4:00pm 11/14/18State to help fund bridge rehabs in region
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Solid Waste Authority recognizes America Recycles Day