Officers complete check of registered sex offenders
A total of 80 registered sex offenders living in the City of Rome were checked in a bi-annual police department sweep on May 10, the department has reported.
All 80 sex offenders were found to be in compliance with state law and were living at their registered addresses.
“The purpose of the sweep is to verify that the address given is current,” explained Lt. James P. Boyer.
According to the Sex Offender Registration Act, all convicted sex offenders must report their residence, place of work and other personal information to local law enforcers on a routine basis, the Rome police official added.
The most severe offenders —Level 3 — are required to check in with law enforcement every 90 days.
The least severe — Level 1 — are required to check in every two years.
Boyer said the bi-annual sweeps are to make sure all Level 1 and Level 2 registered sex offenders are following the law in between their required check-ins.
All 80 residences that were checked were found to be in compliance, Boyer stated.
Boyer noted that the department’s website — www.romepd.com — can be used to check on registered sex offenders in the city.
“A well-informed population is certainly safer,” Boyer stated.
The department’s Sex Offender Registration Act Unit was assisted by the Detective Division, county Probation, the Sheriff’s Office and the county Child Advocacy Center.
Anyone with questions or concerns about registered sex offenders in the city can call
Officer Jeff Buckley at 315-838-1914.
- 4:01pm 09/21/18High time for pot talks?
- 4:00pm 09/21/18Pair charged after 51 meth pots seized in Madison County drug raid
- 4:00pm 09/21/18Pair named Officers of the Month for presidential preparations
- 4:00pm 09/21/18Three charged in hit and run accident in city Thursday
- 4:00pm 09/21/18State sends letters to schools to warn of opioid dangers
- 4:00pm 09/21/18Valesky concedes primary but remains on November ballot
- 4:00pm 09/21/18Fort super to receive Medal of the Order of 1777
- 4:00pm 09/21/18Jervis joins National Voter Registration Day efforts
- 4:00pm 09/21/18Movies — Sept. 21, 2018
- 4:00pm 09/21/18Public Safety Logs — Sept. 21, 2018