Officers complete check of registered sex offenders
A total of 80 registered sex offenders living in the City of Rome were checked in a bi-annual police department sweep on May 10, the department has reported.
All 80 sex offenders were found to be in compliance with state law and were living at their registered addresses.
“The purpose of the sweep is to verify that the address given is current,” explained Lt. James P. Boyer.
According to the Sex Offender Registration Act, all convicted sex offenders must report their residence, place of work and other personal information to local law enforcers on a routine basis, the Rome police official added.
The most severe offenders —Level 3 — are required to check in with law enforcement every 90 days.
The least severe — Level 1 — are required to check in every two years.
Boyer said the bi-annual sweeps are to make sure all Level 1 and Level 2 registered sex offenders are following the law in between their required check-ins.
All 80 residences that were checked were found to be in compliance, Boyer stated.
Boyer noted that the department’s website — www.romepd.com — can be used to check on registered sex offenders in the city.
“A well-informed population is certainly safer,” Boyer stated.
The department’s Sex Offender Registration Act Unit was assisted by the Detective Division, county Probation, the Sheriff’s Office and the county Child Advocacy Center.
Anyone with questions or concerns about registered sex offenders in the city can call
Officer Jeff Buckley at 315-838-1914.
- 4:10pm 05/24/18Sylvan Beach gears up for sun, fun
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Dairy farmers share concerns with county officials at forum
- 4:00pm 05/24/18French and Indian War Weekend returns to Fort Stanwix
- 4:00pm 05/24/18City reaches five-year pact with police union
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Kirkland Bird Club to offer hike
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Great Swamp to host free event with expert angler
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Patrols to be out in force Memorial Day weekend
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Movies — May 24, 2018
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Holy Cross Academy celebrates 20 years of service, educating area youth
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Red Cross installs over 900 smoke alarms