Officers complete check of registered sex offenders
A total of 80 registered sex offenders living in the City of Rome were checked in a bi-annual police department sweep on May 10, the department has reported.
All 80 sex offenders were found to be in compliance with state law and were living at their registered addresses.
“The purpose of the sweep is to verify that the address given is current,” explained Lt. James P. Boyer.
According to the Sex Offender Registration Act, all convicted sex offenders must report their residence, place of work and other personal information to local law enforcers on a routine basis, the Rome police official added.
The most severe offenders —Level 3 — are required to check in with law enforcement every 90 days.
The least severe — Level 1 — are required to check in every two years.
Boyer said the bi-annual sweeps are to make sure all Level 1 and Level 2 registered sex offenders are following the law in between their required check-ins.
All 80 residences that were checked were found to be in compliance, Boyer stated.
Boyer noted that the department’s website — www.romepd.com — can be used to check on registered sex offenders in the city.
“A well-informed population is certainly safer,” Boyer stated.
The department’s Sex Offender Registration Act Unit was assisted by the Detective Division, county Probation, the Sheriff’s Office and the county Child Advocacy Center.
Anyone with questions or concerns about registered sex offenders in the city can call
Officer Jeff Buckley at 315-838-1914.
- 4:10pm 11/17/18City’s Codes Department unveils hybrid car fleet $100,000 state grant funds purchase of new, energy-efficient vehicles
- 4:00pm 11/17/18DEC seeks input on managing Tug Hill lands
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Civic group honors AmeriCu’s Manuele
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Drivers urged to think safety as winter descends on region
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Woman gets probation for theft
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Eight area residents among state police grads
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Jervis serves as collection point for multiple community outreach efforts
- 4:00pm 11/17/18State champion RFA Marching Band receives commendation
- 4:00pm 11/17/18School board debates membership in statewide association
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Public Safety Logs — Nov. 17, 2018