New Hartford fire claims life of elderly woman
NEW HARTFORD — A 98-year-old woman was killed in a house fire on Pearl Street Saturday morning.
During an interior attack at 48 Pearl St., Rye A. King was found deceased near a rear doorway, Fire Chief Thomas Bolanowski said.
Firefighters responded to the 8:28 a.m. county 9-1-1 alarm after a caller reported seeing smoke and flames coming from the residence.
Within minutes Bolanowski said fire personnel and police responded and firefighters immediately began an interior attack as they searched for residents inside the home. That was when King was discovered.
Willowvale and Clayville volunteer fire departments responded with mutual aid, as did personnel from Edwards Ambulance.
Flames were deemed under control by 10:04 a.m., the chief said. A crew from National Grid responded to turn off power and natural gas utilities to the residence.
An autopsy has been scheduled by the Onondaga County Medical Examiner’s office to determine the cause of death for the victim. King was the lone occupant of the residence, Bolanowski said.
Several Cause & Origin investigators from New Hartford Fire Department, New Hartford Police Department and the state Office of Fire Prevention and Control are continuing their investigation into the cause of the fire.
The blaze does not appear to be suspicious, Bolanowski said.
- 4:00pm 11/15/18City's Board of Estimate to hold special meeting
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Board, groups meet to discuss minority concerns
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Flakes to fly; several inches of snow likely
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Oneida County lawmakers approve budget without gaming revenue sharing
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Nursing facility donates to Rescue Mission
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Rescue Mission puts out call for turkeys
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Lewis County man hospitalized after rescuing dogs from fire
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Council approves trash, dog ordinance changes
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Trailbusters to host NYS safety course
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Children can send Christmas wishes to Santa Claus