GRILL DONATION — Joe Calandra, left, president of Rizio and Calandra Plumbing/Excavation, donated a gas grill to the Rome Police Department’s Kops 4 Kids program, which gives back to children in need in the city. Patrolman Thomas R. Medlin III, with the Community Impact Unit, and Sgt. Sharon L. Rood, head of the Juvenile Aid Division, accepted the grill. (Sentinel photo by John Clifford)
New grill to help fire up community relations
Rizio and Calandra Plumbing/Excavating Inc. has donated a gas grill to the Rome Police Department’s Kops 4 Kids
program to host cookouts throughout the city.
“They reached out to us and wanted to do something for us,” explained department spokesman Det. Jeffrey M. Lanigan.
The Webber brand grill will be used by the Kops 4 Kids program and the department’s Community Impact Unit at various community functions.
The graphics on the front of the grill were donated by Gulla’s Graphics on Taft Avenue, and the images on the back of the grill were donated by Custom Creations on Erie Boulevard West, officials said.
“It was something we wanted to get involved in,” said Joe Calandra, from Rizio and Calandra Plumbing/Excavating, which has been in business on Railroad Street for about four years.
Calandra said he was chatting with a member of the CIU about what the department might need, and the idea of a grill came up to help foster community relations.
So Calandra said he and his partner, Bobby Rizio, went out to ACE Hardware on Black River Boulevard and bought the grill to donate.
“There are so many different faces on the police force, and when I was growing up, we knew all of them,” Calandra said.
He added that he hopes the grill is a way for more people in the community to get to know the officers on the city’s police department.
- 12:00pm 11/20/18Rome teen hurt, ticketed for speeding in accident on Route 233
- 4:00pm 11/19/18Holiday cooks get safety reminder
- 4:00pm 11/19/18District officials discuss state assessment results
- 4:00pm 11/19/18Rome man charged with hitting girlfriend in nose
- 4:00pm 11/19/18Man accused of attacking female relative inside store
- 4:00pm 11/19/18Junior class to host Open Mic Night
- 4:00pm 11/19/18Fort Stanwix National Monument invites visitors to annual holiday program
- 4:00pm 11/19/18Genesis Group donates $1,050 to food pantries
- 4:00pm 11/19/18Woman accused of theft
- 4:00pm 11/19/18Drunk driving charged