Motorcyclist charged after nearly year-long investigation into New Hartford accident
NEW HARTFORD — Following a nearly year-long investigation after a motorcycle struck a pedestrian on Mohawk Street and killed a dog, law enforcers said the motorcyclist has been charged with driving without a license.
Police said Jacob H. Bullard, 21, of Sauquoit, did not have a motorcycle license when he was riding his Harley Davidson northbound on Mohawk Street shortly after noon on June 28, 2017. Police said Bullard lost control of the bike after passing through the intersection with Sessions Road, and the Harley crossed into the oncoming lane and then went off the east shoulder.
Bullard and the motorcycle struck pedestrian Dayle E. Turczyn, 47, of New Hartford, who was walking her two dogs on the shoulder of the roadway, police said. One of the dogs, named Mia, was killed in the crash, authorities stated.
Turczyn suffered extensive injuries throughout her head and body, police said. She was taken to University Hospital in Syracuse, where she spent several months undergoing treatment. Authorities said Turczyn only returned home earlier this year and underwent further physical therapy treatments. Police said Bullard was treated for his injuries at St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Utica.
The accident was investigated and the evidence was presented directly to a grand jury. Police said Bullard was indicted this week on one count each of second-degree possession of a forged instrument, third-degree assault, speeding, unreasonable speed and for operating without a motorcycle license. Bullard was taken into custody on the grand jury warrant on Wednesday and he was arraigned before County Court Judge Michael L. Dwyer. Bullard was sent to county jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bail or bond. He is scheduled to reappear in court on June 8.
- 9:00am 06/24/18Tri-Willow murders left children, community in grief, fear
- 4:02pm 06/23/18345 get diplomas at RFA commencement ceremony
- 4:00pm 06/23/18Oriskany Central School celebrates 2018 commencement ceremony
- 4:00pm 06/23/18Oriskany graduates earn honors
- 4:00pm 06/23/18154 students turn tassels at Camden commencement
- 4:00pm 06/23/18Camden grads receive awards, scholarships
- 4:00pm 06/23/18RFA senior earns special credential
- 4:00pm 06/23/18Conservation officer hooks Madison County angler
- 4:00pm 06/23/18GlassBarge gives free glassblowing demonstrations
- 4:00pm 06/23/18Public Safety Logs — June 23, 2018