Meth charges for trio after two ‘labs’ found in car trunk
BY SEAN I. MILLS
Three men have been charged with cooking methamphetamine after two portable meth labs were found in the trunk of their car early this morning.
Police said the vehicle was first spotted unoccupied near the South James Street bridge early this morning. The officer ran the license plate and discovered that the vehicle’s registration was suspended.
Then at about 2:15 a.m., police said the same officer spotted the vehicle driving, this time with three people inside. The car was pulled over in the 100 block of Black River Boulevard.
Police said the driver, 34-year-old Jason E. Johnston, of Floyd Avenue, gave permission to search his vehicle and told the officer there was methamphetamine in the trunk. Police said the officer discovered two active, portable meth labs in the trunk. The portable — or “one pot” method — involves mixing the volatile methamphetamine ingredients into a 2-liter bottle and letting them cook, according to the authorities.
The state police Contaminated Crime Scene Emergency Response Team was dispatched to the scene to clean out the hazardous chemicals.
Johnston and two passengers, Codilee A. Lighthall, 19, of West Thomas Street, and Daryan J. Nichols, 19, of Hillside Drive, Boonville, were all charged with third-degree manufacturing methamphetamine, a class D felony, police stated.
Johnston was additionally charged with third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation.
All three are scheduled to appear in City Court.
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Charged in Sunoco robbery
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Rome school district honored with Best Communities for Music Education designation
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Seasonal Sports to replace damaged sign at Bobby Page Memorial Fields
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Fire destroys garage in Lee Center
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Utica College student accused of threats offered plea deal
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Utica College to hold special ed open house Wednesday
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Rome Clean and Green to participate for 20th year in Keep America Beautiful Great American Clean Up
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Local jobless rate falls
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Holland Patent receives school safety award
- 4:00pm 04/20/18SUNY Poly to host Mohawk Valley Mini Maker Faire