Meth charges for trio after two ‘labs’ found in car trunk
BY SEAN I. MILLS
Three men have been charged with cooking methamphetamine after two portable meth labs were found in the trunk of their car early this morning.
Police said the vehicle was first spotted unoccupied near the South James Street bridge early this morning. The officer ran the license plate and discovered that the vehicle’s registration was suspended.
Then at about 2:15 a.m., police said the same officer spotted the vehicle driving, this time with three people inside. The car was pulled over in the 100 block of Black River Boulevard.
Police said the driver, 34-year-old Jason E. Johnston, of Floyd Avenue, gave permission to search his vehicle and told the officer there was methamphetamine in the trunk. Police said the officer discovered two active, portable meth labs in the trunk. The portable — or “one pot” method — involves mixing the volatile methamphetamine ingredients into a 2-liter bottle and letting them cook, according to the authorities.
The state police Contaminated Crime Scene Emergency Response Team was dispatched to the scene to clean out the hazardous chemicals.
Johnston and two passengers, Codilee A. Lighthall, 19, of West Thomas Street, and Daryan J. Nichols, 19, of Hillside Drive, Boonville, were all charged with third-degree manufacturing methamphetamine, a class D felony, police stated.
Johnston was additionally charged with third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation.
All three are scheduled to appear in City Court.
- 12:00pm 10/19/17Remington Arms plans temporary furloughs
- 6:42pm 10/18/17Victim's husband only witness called today in Conley trial
- 4:10pm 10/18/17Lawmaker says proposed pay raises shouldn’t come before public safety
- 4:00pm 10/18/17LaGreco announces candidacy for seat in Rome’s Third Ward
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Lee fire commissioners say budget is sufficient for equipment, repairs
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Pair of Rome businesswomen honored by local group at forum
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Game to benefit Westmoreland youth Friday
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Husband takes stand, describes wife’s final hours
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Rome GOP Committee to host meet the candidates event
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Retired Air Force general named new chief executive officer for NUAIR Alliance