Man accused of attacking ex-girlfriend
A 26-year-old man is accused of attacking and choking his ex-girlfriend at her Liberty Gardens apartment.
Police said Tyriek S. Carter, of 119 E. Thomas St., repeatedly punched and choked his ex at her apartment at 3:25 a.m. Dec. 31. In a statement to police, the victim said she was sleeping when Carter appeared in her bedroom and woke her up with a punch.
The woman told police that Carter had been evicted from the apartment, but he was still living there and wouldn’t leave.
Police said Carter also broke a gold chain from around the woman’s neck.
Another person in the apartment called 9-1-1 and Carter fled, the woman told police. A warrant was issued for his arrest, and authorities said Carter was taken into custody on Wednesday.
Carter is charged with one count each of third-degree assault, second-degree harassment, fourth-degree mischief and obstruction of breathing, police stated.
He was held in lockup overnight to await arraignment today in City Court.
- 4:10pm 02/23/17Sewer line repair project on Erie Blvd. West back in spotlight
- 4:00pm 02/23/17DiBerardino nominated Cuomo for National Women’s Hall of Fame
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Rome Clean and Green receives award
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Oneida engineer updates rail trail progress
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Madison County man charged with fraud
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Autopsy report: Utica man shot in chest
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Woman suffers medical emergency
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Author to offer creative writing workshop at MVCC
- 4:00pm 02/23/17MVCC adds online degree
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Dollar General to build NY distribution center, employ 430