Man accused of attacking ex-girlfriend
A 26-year-old man is accused of attacking and choking his ex-girlfriend at her Liberty Gardens apartment.
Police said Tyriek S. Carter, of 119 E. Thomas St., repeatedly punched and choked his ex at her apartment at 3:25 a.m. Dec. 31. In a statement to police, the victim said she was sleeping when Carter appeared in her bedroom and woke her up with a punch.
The woman told police that Carter had been evicted from the apartment, but he was still living there and wouldn’t leave.
Police said Carter also broke a gold chain from around the woman’s neck.
Another person in the apartment called 9-1-1 and Carter fled, the woman told police. A warrant was issued for his arrest, and authorities said Carter was taken into custody on Wednesday.
Carter is charged with one count each of third-degree assault, second-degree harassment, fourth-degree mischief and obstruction of breathing, police stated.
He was held in lockup overnight to await arraignment today in City Court.
- 12:00pm 05/24/17Dryer blamed in New London fire; family of five displaced
- 4:10pm 05/23/17City gets grant for Haselton park pavilion
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Fort Stanwix to be surrounded once again; monument to host French and Indian War Weekend
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Local lawmakers back relief efforts for Vernon Downs
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Honoring service and sacrifice
- 4:00pm 05/23/17State Senate again takes aim at laser pointing at aircraft
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Teen charged with assault, accused of injuring adult male
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Master’s program at SUNY Poly lauded
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Utica man hospitalized after shooting
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Kay Real Estate to be honored at chamber luncheon