Man accused of attacking ex-girlfriend
A 26-year-old man is accused of attacking and choking his ex-girlfriend at her Liberty Gardens apartment.
Police said Tyriek S. Carter, of 119 E. Thomas St., repeatedly punched and choked his ex at her apartment at 3:25 a.m. Dec. 31. In a statement to police, the victim said she was sleeping when Carter appeared in her bedroom and woke her up with a punch.
The woman told police that Carter had been evicted from the apartment, but he was still living there and wouldn’t leave.
Police said Carter also broke a gold chain from around the woman’s neck.
Another person in the apartment called 9-1-1 and Carter fled, the woman told police. A warrant was issued for his arrest, and authorities said Carter was taken into custody on Wednesday.
Carter is charged with one count each of third-degree assault, second-degree harassment, fourth-degree mischief and obstruction of breathing, police stated.
He was held in lockup overnight to await arraignment today in City Court.
- 4:10pm 09/21/17City outlines plans, projects for $10M grant
- 4:00pm 09/21/17Heat wave prompts swim extension at Delta Lake
- 4:00pm 09/21/17Hoag named Officer of Month
- 4:00pm 09/21/17Premier Aviation to sell some Canadian operations, says Griffiss facility not affected
- 4:00pm 09/21/17General Cable water tower work continues
- 4:00pm 09/21/17Purchases, social worker on school board agenda
- 4:00pm 09/21/17Police seek info in break-in
- 4:00pm 09/21/17Retired teacher helps promote National Teach Ag Day
- 4:00pm 09/21/17Veterans Mental Health Training Initiative holds forum
- 4:00pm 09/21/17Colonial Park Fall Festival set for Oct. 7