Makeshift handcuff keys seized during prison investigation
TOWN OF MARCY — Three sets of makeshift handcuff keys were seized during an investigation at the Marcy Correctional Facility.
The first set was found on an inmate in the Residential Health Unit on Jan. 31, according to the New York State Correctional Officers & Police Benevolent Association.
The makeshift keys were created by hollowing out a pair of state-issued headphone jacks, allowing them to fit into the locks of wrist and ankle restraints, authorities said.
After the first set was found, authorities said the prison was searched and two more sets were found over the next two weeks. The prisoners found in position of the makeshift keys surrendered them voluntarily, officials said.
The investigation is ongoing.
- 9:21pm 09/25/18Authorities respond to gunshot victim near South Madison Street
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Griffo, Valesky get high grades from pro-business group; Assembly members lower
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Utica Zoo back in good standing
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Board of Education does away with on-site school meetings
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Common Council set to receive mayor’s proposed 2019 budget
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Church to host Lord’s Acre Auction Friday
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Man arrested again on drug, cigarette charges
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Students lacking vaccinations to be barred starting Monday
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Agency seeks host sites for AmeriCorps program
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Colonial Park center to hold Fall Festival Saturday