Lightning Awareness Week initiative hopes to spark emphasis on personal safety
In an effort to teach lightning safety, the National Weather Service will hold New York Sate Lightning Awareness Week next week, the agency has announced.
The week invites all state residents to learn more about the dangers of lightning and how to be prepared. Information will be available daily on their website www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov.
Among the tips and advice aimed at keeping people safe from lightning strikes include:
• No place outside is safe when thunderstorms are in the area.
• If you hear thunder, lightning is close enough to strike you.
• Get off elevated areas, such as hills or mountain ridges.
• Never lie flat on the ground.
• Never shelter under an isolated tree or use a cliff or rocky overhang.
• Stay away from ponds, lakes and other bodies of water, as well as objects that conduct electricity, like barbed wires fences, power lines and windmills.
• When you hear thunder, immediately move to a safe shelter, including substantial buildings and enclosed, metal-topped vehicles with the windows up.
• Stay in the safe shelter at least 30 minutes after you hear the last sound of thunder.
• When inside, stay off corded phones, computers and other electronic devices.
• Avoid plumbing, including sinks, baths and faucets.
• Stay off porches and away from windows and doors.
• Do not lie on concrete floors and lean against concrete walls.
- 4:41pm 12/17/17Remsen luger Hamlin says good-bye to Lake Placid
- 4:10pm 12/16/17Danfoss coming to fruition soon at SUNY Poly
- 4:00pm 12/16/17Pair sentenced in U-Haul truck crash into carport at Barry Funeral Home
- 4:00pm 12/16/17Wanted in Walmart robbery
- 4:00pm 12/16/17Woods Valley opens for season
- 4:00pm 12/16/17Winberg sworn in as assistant secretary for fossil energy
- 4:00pm 12/16/17MVCC’s Strategic Gaming Club raises money for Children’s Miracle Network
- 4:00pm 12/16/17Snowfest planned for Griffo Green Dec. 28
- 4:00pm 12/16/17Yorkville woman found dead, exposed to elements
- 4:00pm 12/16/17County to hold special meeting on lodging tax