Four juveniles face charges in Mohawk
VILLAGE OF MOHAWK — Four students are facing a felony charge of making a terroristic threat after two days of lockdowns at Jarvis Middle School in Herkimer County. The identities of the students have not been released due to their young ages.
School officials said a student reported a threat Monday morning prompting a lockout. The school then received two separate threats Tuesday morning, prompting another lockout. A student reported a third threat Tuesday afternoon, prompting a third lockout. The Mohawk Police Department investigated all three threats and identified the students responsible. All four are middle school students. Officials said the threats were deemed to be hoaxes and all students and faculty were safe.
“We will seek the appropriate consequences in these cases, but consequences alone will not solve the problem,” said Central Valley School Superintendent Jeremy Rich. “Equally important, we need to reach these students before this happens. We need to ramp up the proactive measures we currently take, including mental health awareness, counseling and building healthy relationships to address students who may be drawn to this kind of behavior.”
Rich credited school staff working with authorities to uncovering the truth in each case.
“Our teachers and counselors invest themselves daily in our students’ lives, building relationships and trust. Those relationships are a big reason we close out this day, knowing our kids are safe,” he said.
- 4:10pm 03/17/18Camden announces top ten scholars
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Two at EADS receive promotions
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Three earn high honors at South Lewis
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Textbooks approved by BOE in 5-2 vote
- 4:00pm 03/17/18School district redefines lease agreement to use Kost Field Complex
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Student, 11, charged in Westmoreland threat
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Pair accused of welfare fraud in Madison County
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Henry P. Smith Post hosts meeting Tuesday
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Lowville teen caught in Walmart fraud
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Utica Dollars for Scholars applications deadline approaching