Four juveniles face charges in Mohawk
VILLAGE OF MOHAWK — Four students are facing a felony charge of making a terroristic threat after two days of lockdowns at Jarvis Middle School in Herkimer County. The identities of the students have not been released due to their young ages.
School officials said a student reported a threat Monday morning prompting a lockout. The school then received two separate threats Tuesday morning, prompting another lockout. A student reported a third threat Tuesday afternoon, prompting a third lockout. The Mohawk Police Department investigated all three threats and identified the students responsible. All four are middle school students. Officials said the threats were deemed to be hoaxes and all students and faculty were safe.
“We will seek the appropriate consequences in these cases, but consequences alone will not solve the problem,” said Central Valley School Superintendent Jeremy Rich. “Equally important, we need to reach these students before this happens. We need to ramp up the proactive measures we currently take, including mental health awareness, counseling and building healthy relationships to address students who may be drawn to this kind of behavior.”
Rich credited school staff working with authorities to uncovering the truth in each case.
“Our teachers and counselors invest themselves daily in our students’ lives, building relationships and trust. Those relationships are a big reason we close out this day, knowing our kids are safe,” he said.
- 4:10pm 06/22/18Three grads at NYSSD look forward to the “adventures” of the future
- 4:00pm 06/22/18RFA graduation slated for 10 a.m.
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Harden closes again
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Drivers to get view of ‘Nature’s Wrath’
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Holland Patent High School names 2018 academic leaders
- 4:00pm 06/22/18High above Rome
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Brindisi, Tenney trade barbs on federal immigration policies
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Teen accused of having sex with underage girl
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Guatemalan at center of local controversy pleads guilty
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Man pleads guilty to production of child pornography