Paul W. Spalding Jr.
Fort Drum soldier faces rape charge
TOWN OF REMSEN — A Fort Drum soldier is accused of having sex with a teenage girl in Remsen.
Paul W. Spalding Jr., 21, visited the girl on multiple occasions over the past three months, eventually having sex with her at least once, according to Detective Edwin A. D’Alessandro of the county Child Advocacy Center.
The girl is less than 16-years-old.
Authorities said Spalding is a U.S. Army specialist stationed at Fort Drum.
Spalding was taken into custody on Thursday on one count of felony third-degree rape, authorities stated. He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bail. Spalding is scheduled to reappear in court.
Authorities said additional charges are possible as the investigation is continuing.
- 4:01pm 04/18/18Brothers in blue honor fallen officer
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Fond memories shared at service for fallen officer
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Voters to get $117.9M school budget with 3.96 percent tax levy increase
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Board seat to remain vacant until next term starts; only one candidate for three seats so far
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Evergreen Cemetery clears roadways after winds topple trees, cause damage
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Quick-thinking deputies save overdose victim at Oneida County Office Building on Tuesday
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Electrical service repaired to Oriskany Monument park
- 4:00pm 04/18/18State parks, DEC expand first-time camping program
- 4:00pm 04/18/18‘Tick talk’ set for April 29 in Barneveld
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Brindisi, Tenney trade barbs over campaign contributions