Paul W. Spalding Jr.
Fort Drum soldier faces rape charge
TOWN OF REMSEN — A Fort Drum soldier is accused of having sex with a teenage girl in Remsen.
Paul W. Spalding Jr., 21, visited the girl on multiple occasions over the past three months, eventually having sex with her at least once, according to Detective Edwin A. D’Alessandro of the county Child Advocacy Center.
The girl is less than 16-years-old.
Authorities said Spalding is a U.S. Army specialist stationed at Fort Drum.
Spalding was taken into custody on Thursday on one count of felony third-degree rape, authorities stated. He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bail. Spalding is scheduled to reappear in court.
Authorities said additional charges are possible as the investigation is continuing.
- 9:00am 06/17/18Chewie takes top place in Pet Photo Contest
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Damaged helicopter had stopped at Griffiss to refuel
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Beta Sigma Phi Sorority holds ceremony, elects officers
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Earns doctorate
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Police urge drivers to look out for pedestrians at crosswalks
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Lee truck driver charged with Workers’ Compensation fraud, larceny
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Farmers Market returns downtown
- 4:00pm 06/16/18County officials hail winners at inaugural Youth Awards Dinner
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Officials investigate cause of fire in Utica
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Public Safety Logs — June 16, 2018