Former VVS district elementary principal charged with DUI
TOWN OF VERONA — The former principal of J.D. George Elementary, who recently resigned her post for “personal reasons,” was charged with driving under the influence back in November.
Kimberly LeBlanc, 44, of Wampsville, was charged by Canastota Police at about 2:40 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 30 with driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 percent or greater. Police said she was additionally charged with driving while intoxicated, leaving the scene of a property damage accident and consuming alcohol in a motor vehicle while on the highway.
LeBlanc was driving a 2012 Chevrolet in the parking lot of a Sav-On gas station on North Peterboro Street when she struck the rear of a car parked at the gas pumps, police said. She then drove across the road to the Express Mart convenience store, where she was taken into custody.
According to Canastota Police, LeBlanc also had an open can of beer in the console of her vehicle.
LeBlanc has been on paid administrative leave since July 14, Superintendent Martha A. Group said. She received an annual salary of $90,000. She had been principal of J.D. George Elementary School since 2011.
The superintendent said LeBlanc was not asked to resign, but did so voluntarily. Group would not say why LeBlanc had been on leave, nor would she elaborate on a current investigation being conducted by state police at J.D. George.
Group issued a statement about LeBlanc’s resignation and the investigation.
“Former V-V-S Principal Kimberly LeBlanc resigned from her position with the district for personal reasons. The work that Mrs. LeBlanc did on behalf of the students in the district is appreciated,” Group said. “She has not been convicted of any wrong-doing. Like all citizens, Ms. LeBlanc is entitled to a presumption of innocence unless and until she is convicted of any wrong-doing. Therefore, as with any personnel matter, the district can have no further comment on the matter.”
The Vernon-Verona-Sherrill Board of Education accepted LeBlanc’s resignation last month, effective Dec. 31.
Interim Dana Chapman, of Hamilton, is serving as principal of the elementary for the spring semester.
- 4:10pm 11/18/17Pendorf, Blackall honored for contributions to Rome’s historical preservation
- 4:00pm 11/18/17BOE approves overseas trip; mulls association expense
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Oneida Common Council reviews 2018 budget with water, police departments
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Gift sign-ups start Nov. 27 at rescue mission
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Steuben justice resigns following private investigation
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Public Safety Logs — Nov. 18, 2017
- 4:00pm 11/18/17‘Stuff the Bus’ kicks-off today
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Meetings — Monday, Nov. 20
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Genius NY names 16 semifinalists
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Syracuse man charged with DUI in two-vehicle Verona crash