Former fugitive charged in pair of burglaries
A former Rome Police Department “Warrant of the Week” has been taken into custody and charged with a pair of burglaries from this summer, according to law enforcement officials.
Shawn A. Kelly, 51, of 507 Roberts St., entered another person’s apartment on West Street at about 12:48 p.m. July 27 without permission, police said. When the resident told Kelly to leave, police said he grabbed the house keys, a soda and $11 cash and walked out.
Police said Kelly then broke through his ex-girlfriend’s screen window at a different residence at about 3 a.m. Aug. 5 and stole her cell phone.
A warrant was issued for Kelly’s arrest following the two incidents. The Rome Police featured him as a Warrant of the Week in September.
Kelly was located and taken into custody on Monday, authorities said.
Kelly is charged with two counts each of second-degree burglary and second-degree trespass, police stated.
Kelly pleaded not guilty before Judge Gregory J. Amoroso on Wednesday. He was sent to county jail in lieu of $3,000 cash bail or bond. His case was adjourned to Nov. 19.
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Demo begins at DeWitt Clinton site
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Copperccino’s open for business
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Budget approved in Lee; speed study requested
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Area teachers honored by Genesis Group at celebration
- 4:00pm 11/14/18ReStore seeks decoration donations
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Cemetery to place wreaths on vets graves
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Rotary Club seeks host families
- 4:00pm 11/14/18VVS team earns awards at science museum event in Syracuse
- 4:00pm 11/14/18State to help fund bridge rehabs in region
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Solid Waste Authority recognizes America Recycles Day